Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: What did you do to your Bolt today?  (Read 513787 times)

Offline discusted

Re: What did you do to your Bolt today?
« Reply #1050 on: July 16, 2015, 07:56:34 pm »
Did you have to do anything to the chrome before you painted it? Sounds like a good deal. Much more permanent then PlastiDip!

I sanded it with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to give it a surface to adhere to.  That took a lot of rubbing, but you don't have to do more than dull the chrome a bit.  If you have a detail sander, that would be easier.
Tape over or plug anything you don't want painted, like the little hole for the keyhole cover.
You can handle parts in 1 hour, assemble in 24 hours.  Since it's for guns, they say don't shoot for 5 days until it totally hardens.  I usually wait 4 or 5 days to assemble, but it's not necessary.  Best part, no oven required and a little goes a long way.
It comes in a bajillion colors.  Rumor is it's Sherwin Williams "something or other", but someone tried using the SW hardener and it didn't work, so it ain't compatible.
Manufacturer is here: https://www.lauerweaponry.com
You can order it here too: www.midwayusa.com

Offline Super Sneaky Steve

« Reply #1051 on: July 17, 2015, 08:02:54 am »
Did you have to do anything to the chrome before you painted it? Sounds like a good deal. Much more permanent then PlastiDip!

I sanded it with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to give it a surface to adhere to.  That took a lot of rubbing, but you don't have to do more than dull the chrome a bit.  If you have a detail sander, that would be easier.
Tape over or plug anything you don't want painted, like the little hole for the keyhole cover.
You can handle parts in 1 hour, assemble in 24 hours.  Since it's for guns, they say don't shoot for 5 days until it totally hardens.  I usually wait 4 or 5 days to assemble, but it's not necessary.  Best part, no oven required and a little goes a long way.
It comes in a bajillion colors.  Rumor is it's Sherwin Williams "something or other", but someone tried using the SW hardener and it didn't work, so it ain't compatible.

I thought about using duracoat on my tank. Because it's meant for firearms it should hold up to solvents really well.

Did you add the UV protectant?

Offline jimboy3625

« Reply #1052 on: July 17, 2015, 08:57:16 am »
Installed the kuryakyn mini floorboards today. I love these things! So much better than the stock pegs.

Got a link to those highway pegs you have? They look great!
2014 Bolt R-Spec Green

• Advertisement

Offline daddyrack

« Reply #1053 on: July 17, 2015, 11:47:58 am »
Installed the kuryakyn mini floorboards today. I love these things! So much better than the stock pegs.

Got a link to those highway pegs you have? They look great!

Rivco frame mount highway pegs. I got them off eBay ( like I do everything Lol ). And thank you!
2015 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe (red)
1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 (grey)
2015 GMC Canyon (red)

Offline discusted

« Reply #1054 on: July 17, 2015, 05:18:52 pm »
I thought about using duracoat on my tank. Because it's meant for firearms it should hold up to solvents really well.

Did you add the UV protectant?

It's pretty much guaranteed to be solvent proof.  Gas certainly won't mar it.
I did add UV, good idea for something that sits outside in the sun a lot.  I don't use UV protectant when I do guns or small tools with it.  No point, they don't sit in the sun long enough to fade.
All you need to measure is some measuring spoons from 1/4 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon.  I tried syringes, they are good if you're doing tiny touch up with an airbrush or screw heads where you don't want to mix much.  For the cap and larger parts, I use a cheap Chinese Touch up gun like Harbor Freight, eBay, and Amazon sell for $20 to $30.  You don't need a DeVilbiss or quality gun for this.  The $30 Chinese guns are as good as the high end were guns 20 or 30 years ago.  Just filter you paint mix, keep the gun clean and shoot some lacquer thinner through it before and after you paint.  If the cheap gun doesn't last but a few years, you can get another for $20 or $30 bucks.

Offline rigarue

« Reply #1055 on: July 19, 2015, 12:19:04 am »
She is coming a way

Offline rigarue

« Reply #1056 on: July 19, 2015, 12:22:58 am »
A couple more pics

Offline hamirpur

« Reply #1057 on: July 19, 2015, 02:36:05 am »
;)

Offline hamirpur

« Reply #1058 on: July 19, 2015, 02:37:01 am »
the other side

Offline discusted

« Reply #1059 on: July 19, 2015, 10:18:21 am »
Both Cool-O-Pete!
I dig the lean and mean look Centerline guy,
And the Lightning Bolt decal is definitely blatant and subtle at the same time Hamirpur.

Offline hamirpur

« Reply #1060 on: July 20, 2015, 12:59:04 am »
Both Cool-O-Pete!
I dig the lean and mean look Centerline guy,
And the Lightning Bolt decal is definitely blatant and subtle at the same time Hamirpur.
Thanks Mate... Being a electrical engineer this is my interpretation of BOLT... :)

Offline pdrohan

« Reply #1061 on: July 20, 2015, 10:05:30 am »

A couple more pics

Looks bad ass. Been thinking of doing this to mine.

Pdrohan
San Diego

Offline rigarue

« Reply #1062 on: July 20, 2015, 09:16:55 pm »

A couple more pics

Looks bad ass. Been thinking of doing this to mine.

Pdrohan
San Diego
thanks bud I appreciate the shout out I love it the only thing I've been thinking about changing is the exhaust I think I like the looks of Vance and Hines twin slash cuts but I've not ever heard em next to the comp

Offline Rooster75

« Reply #1063 on: July 20, 2015, 09:36:21 pm »

What about the battery bracket and cover left cover on the tranny. IDK the grey one. Would those need to be sanded down too, or because it's a non chrome and a matte finish already?
Om Gan Ganapataye Namaha Sharanan Ganesha

Offline discusted

« Reply #1064 on: July 21, 2015, 06:18:36 am »
What about the battery bracket and cover left cover on the tranny. IDK the grey one. Would those need to be sanded down too, or because it's a non chrome and a matte finish already?

The instructions with Duracoat say it sticks to anodized metal with just prep cleaning.
600 grit just dulls the shine a bit and gives a surface to adhere too.  It isn't like you have to strip the stock coating down to nothing.  A once over to dull it a bit is enough.  Once the Duracoat catalyzes, you aren't ever going to strip it without an aggressive sandblasting.  So go ahead and hit it with 600 grit just to be safe.