Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: What did you do to your Bolt today?  (Read 513764 times)

Offline atimchula

Re: What did you do to your Bolt today?
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 10:49:59 pm »
I bought it and rode it 50 miles home. It was wonderful, but also cold.

Offline dennyfil

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 06:46:18 pm »
Pirate do u happen to know the number of the bulb that u changed in the speedo
thanks man
By the way notified Yamaha and they said they have a monthly meeting on these issues

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 10:36:33 pm »
Not a problem for the links -   As a mechanic myself, I always find that too much info is almost enough for what I need.

I think Pirate was talking about the headlight bulb in that thread (an H-4) - not a bulb in the speedo. From looking at it, it looks like an LED backlight to me, so it probably wouldn't be possible to change it.  Hopefully, they'll be able to do a software change and brighten it up a little to make it more visible.
NOBODY hates winter more than a Canadian Biker!

• Advertisement

Offline Timbo64

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 01:42:37 am »
I rode it about 40 miles and when I got home, I removed the Yamaha sticker from the rear fender. Man, that thing came off easy..no Goo Gone needed...I just pulled up a corner and it came right off. I also removed the warning label on the tank...now that required some Goo Gone and some wax.
Looks a lot better now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:48:16 am by Timbo64 »

Offline Zaxeiler

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2013, 12:06:10 pm »
Not a problem for the links -   As a mechanic myself, I always find that too much info is almost enough for what I need.

I think Pirate was talking about the headlight bulb in that thread (an H-4) - not a bulb in the speedo. From looking at it, it looks like an LED backlight to me, so it probably wouldn't be possible to change it.  Hopefully, they'll be able to do a software change and brighten it up a little to make it more visible.

That's correct.  I had made the mistake in that thread, he was talking about changing a headlight bulb.

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2013, 03:24:05 pm »
Did my first mod to the bike... Not much really - just installed one of those little universal "cruise control" throttle locks.  Had to do a little modification to it to make it fit, though - but all I had to do to the bike itself was move the brake M/C a little inboard to accommodate it.

It did remind me of one problem I've noticed, though - mirrors.....  I can easily see each lane beside me, but the mirror stems are short, so they don't go far enough out to let me see anything in the lane behind me, at all.  My shoulders and arms are in the way of the sight line.  I know there's aftermarket mirrors that look like OEM from Mamma Yamma, just longer stems, so I might pick up a set - or maybe just swap with the ones from my XS650 - they are exactly the same style ... from 1979... LOL  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh?

Offline Austinhyd

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2013, 06:15:59 pm »
Just did low and mean's exhaust mod. Doubled the holes in the exhaust. Sounds much much better.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."
Hunter S Thompson

Offline Zaxeiler

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »
Did my first mod to the bike... Not much really - just installed one of those little universal "cruise control" throttle locks.  Had to do a little modification to it to make it fit, though - but all I had to do to the bike itself was move the brake M/C a little inboard to accommodate it.

It did remind me of one problem I've noticed, though - mirrors.....  I can easily see each lane beside me, but the mirror stems are short, so they don't go far enough out to let me see anything in the lane behind me, at all.  My shoulders and arms are in the way of the sight line.  I know there's aftermarket mirrors that look like OEM from Mamma Yamma, just longer stems, so I might pick up a set - or maybe just swap with the ones from my XS650 - they are exactly the same style ... from 1979... LOL  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh?

Longer stems definitely help.  The easiest thing I've always done is put a blind spot mirror (those convex ones) at the top corner.  That'll usually give you a quick view of what's behind you and what's to the side.

Just did low and mean's exhaust mod. Doubled the holes in the exhaust. Sounds much much better.

Can we get audio?

Offline Mouse

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:28:56 pm by Mouse »
I don't care that I'm acting childish. I'm an adult; I can do what I want!

Offline wakx

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2013, 09:07:27 pm »
Damn. It sure does sound meaner. Nice.

Offline Austinhyd

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2013, 12:24:17 am »

Longer stems definitely help.  The easiest thing I've always done is put a blind spot mirror (those convex ones) at the top corner.  That'll usually give you a quick view of what's behind you and what's to the side.

Can we get audio?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SereF8NEdy4       With just holes drilled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB9eKs6U6yY       After drilling the holes and punching the baffle.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."
Hunter S Thompson

Offline b_ruins

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2013, 12:37:53 am »

Can we get audio?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB9eKs6U6yY       After drilling the holes and punching the baffle.

What size holes did you drill and how did you punch the baffle?
Stop reading... Go riding

Offline Austinhyd

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2013, 12:48:43 am »

Can we get audio?

What size holes did you drill and how did you punch the baffle?

I used a 3/8" drill bit. I first punched it with a long flathead screwdriver, then I punched through it with a piece of rebar, then hammered the remaining metal in with a long pry bar.
Hunter S Thompson

Offline Affinity409

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2013, 06:31:41 pm »
Most of it is stuff you check before every ride - but here's the whole list from the owner's manual....

600 mi (1000 km) check

Fuel injection:
   Adjust synchronization
Exhaust:
   Check for leaks
   Tighten if necessary
   Replace gaskets if necessary
Clutch:
   Check operation
   Adjust or replace cable
Front Brake:
   Check operation, fluid level & Leakage (DOT 4)
   Replace brake pads if necessary
Rear Brake:
   Check operation, fluid level & Leakage (DOT 4)
   Replace brake pads if necessary
Drive belt:
   Check belt condition
   Replace if damaged
   Check tension
   Adjust if necessary
Steering bearings:
   Check for looseness
Sidestand switch:
   Check operation & replace if necessary
Engine oil:
   Change (Warm engine before replacing)
Engine Oil Filter:
   Replace
Front and rear brake switches:
   Check operation
Control Cables:
   Lube (Yamaha Lube or engine oil)
Lights, signals & Switches:
   Check operation
   Adjust headlight beam

If anyone wants a PDF copy of the Owner's Manual - I downloaded it (free) from the Star website......http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/service/manuals/2014/LIT-11626-27-09%20_2106.pdf

They also have parts manual online (http://www.starmotorcycles.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=star), but I didn't see the service manuals available, yet

Anyone know how to do these two things to avoid taking it in?

Fuel injection:
   Adjust synchronization
Steering bearings:
   Check for looseness

anyone know what the 600 miles check up price is?
2009 Honda Rebel 250 Ultra Blue (4/2012)
2014 Yamaha Bolt 950 Pearl White (5/2013)

-Affinity409

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53:01 pm »
I'm not sure at all about what they mean for the Injectors - I though that was all taken care of by the EFI....  :P  Anybody else have any ideas?

For the steering bearings - you'll have to lift the bike (a center stand is best), till the front wheel is off the ground, then give the front forks a wiggle.  If you feel ANY movement in the triple tree - they NEED to be tightened ASAP.   It's also a good time to check the front wheel bearings, too - same procedure - just on the wheel. There's shouldn't be any problem on a new bike, though.

On an old bike, however (like my 79 XS) the steering bearings can wear out (as well as getting loose) - and it's in an odd way with ball bearings - they develop a divot in the bearing race - usually at dead center (where they ride the most). If you can turn your steering and feel a tiny "clunk" in there - your bearings are shot and need to be replaced. The best method is with tapered bearings - they have MUCH more surface area to take the load and are much easier to adjust. (why the factory doesn't use them, I'll never know.... :P).  Unfortunately, it'll probably take specially sized bearings to replace the originals, but they shouldn't be a concern for at least a couple decades!  :)