Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Polyurethane riser bushings  (Read 11898 times)

Offline ZackoftheSouth

Re: Polyurethane riser bushings
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2019, 06:34:32 am »
Got the triple bracket back yesterday and he pushed the bushings out no problem according to him. So unless you just luck up, there’s no doing this by hand. If anyone is looking to get those stock bushings out, save yourself some headache and heartbreak and just find someone with a machine press and have them push those fellers out.

Seriousiy though, there is no reason for Yamaha to make it that tough.

Offline DelawarePete

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 09:45:32 am »
Got the triple bracket back yesterday and he pushed the bushings out no problem according to him. So unless you just luck up, there’s no doing this by hand. If anyone is looking to get those stock bushings out, save yourself some headache and heartbreak and just find someone with a machine press and have them push those fellers out.

Then you should see if Yamaha is hiring in the engineering department and suggest that they are doing it wrong because a few backyard mechanics want to remove the bushings with basic hand tools. 
Grow a beard

Offline srinath

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 10:06:30 am »

I suspect the bushing was put in the casting mould and the aluminum cast around it.
The Suzuki SV naked ones triple is made that way, and generally considered impossible to remove. I would not trust if it was otherwise. But Suzuki on the savage and GS500 to name just a few has the bushings come out easy, those are a different type mechanically sandwiched together and - well look it up they are a 5 piece bushing, 2 rubber cones, 2 massive steel washer/cups and a steel sleeve. Great setup, easy to remove, but definitely more $$ to make.
Cool.
Srinath.

• Advertisement

Offline evallade

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 11:18:20 am »
I guess I lucked out trading that C triple with you. No bushings to pull LOL.
I mau make some bushings to keep around just in case.
Cool.
Srinath.

LOL. I wanted to try out those SSCustom bushings. They're pretty good. They absorb quite a bit of the vibration.
Everyone is capable of greatness. Your efforts determine how great.

Offline srinath

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 03:07:55 pm »
I guess I lucked out trading that C triple with you. No bushings to pull LOL.
I mau make some bushings to keep around just in case.
Cool.
Srinath.

LOL. I wanted to try out those SSCustom bushings. They're pretty good. They absorb quite a bit of the vibration.

They delrin ? or aluminum ? I'd really not trust aluminum, if you bend the bars the aluminum can ruin the upper triple. Rubber or delrin takes up the energy likely saving the triple.
Cool.
Srinath.

Offline srinath

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2019, 03:41:29 pm »
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/5000021/j-p-cycles-value-polyurethane-riser-bushings

Those look like rubber to me - but I think the SS ones are metal just from their $$.
I'll find some HD crap I'll bet that can be modded to fit.
Cool.
Srinath.

Offline aussybolt

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2019, 05:27:15 pm »
i
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:37:43 pm by aussybolt »
http://thebarndaintree.com/

thank god for bolts or I wouldn't have anywhere to put my nuts

Offline aussybolt

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2019, 05:38:18 pm »
see below
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:42:48 pm by aussybolt »

Offline aussybolt

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2019, 05:45:48 pm »

I suspect the bushing was put in the casting mould and the aluminum cast around it.
The Suzuki SV naked ones triple is made that way, and generally considered impossible to remove. I would not trust if it was otherwise. But Suzuki on the savage and GS500 to name just a few has the bushings come out easy, those are a different type mechanically sandwiched together and - well look it up they are a 5 piece bushing, 2 rubber cones, 2 massive steel washer/cups and a steel sleeve. Great setup, easy to remove, but definitely more $$ to make.
Cool.
Srinath.

Polyurethane is an artificial rubber, melts at; see this link https://www.tcforensic.com.au/docs/article10.html.

So i am positive they would not be casting any kind of metal around polyurethane bushings. 3mins googling to get this info.
facts are important not hearsay my 2 cents  >:(    aye Pete :)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:49:01 pm by aussybolt »

Offline srinath

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2019, 08:03:48 am »

Cool.
Srinath.

Polyurethane is an artificial rubber, melts at; see this link https://www.tcforensic.com.au/docs/article10.html.

So i am positive they would not be casting any kind of metal around polyurethane bushings. 3mins googling to get this info.
facts are important not hearsay my 2 cents  >:(    aye Pete :)

No, the original bushings on the SV certainly are not polyurethane. I am not talking about the aftermarket ones. I have not got a bolt with the bushing in the triple to say anything about the bolt. I barely got a look at my scr one before sending it off to evallade.

I would suspect its vulcanized rubber, the same kind used in tires.
https://sciencing.com/melt-rubber-tires-7552030.html

In any case, these bushings are meant to never come out, if it was pressed in, I'd really think they'd glue the thing in as well. I've pulled enough of these and had the rubber tear to think if it wasn't cast around it, they used a glue that was pretty much going to need an act of god to get out.

Cool.
Srinath.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 08:08:03 am by srinath »

Offline srinath

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2019, 02:19:22 pm »
Oh fudge, its likely the rubber or whatever mix of polymers thereof was used to make the bushing was injected into the triple/sleeve mould instead of the triple clamp cast around it like I thought it could have been.

The hole is too tapered to be a simple press in, is what I'm saying, and worse yet, there is a sharp ridge on the C spec where the "waist" of that hour glass shaped hole is. makes no sense that they leave it there if they are pressing it in, that will tear the rubber in a press in, but if the rubber was injected in as a semi solid, that ring acts as a further reinforcement to keep it there.

Well d-uh.

Cool.
Srinath.

Offline DelawarePete

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2019, 02:32:13 pm »
Or, since they have things like hydraulic presses and whatnot at the yamaha factories, they just pressed them in because you know, factories and assembly lines and efficiencies and engineering and such.
Grow a beard

Offline srinath

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2019, 03:02:07 pm »
Or, since they have things like hydraulic presses and whatnot at the yamaha factories, they just pressed them in because you know, factories and assembly lines and efficiencies and engineering and such.

Pete - I have pulled these out of more triples than I can count. I've pulled them out of shocks too. It loses a chunk as it comes out, it could be just glue, but it is meant to never come out, its a liability issue, in fact the FZ-07 a couple yrs ago was recalled for some funky riser related issue (don't immediately recall) what.

The inside of the hole has a ridge - yea they may have cleaned that with a drill sure before pressing in.

But the steel sleeve inside it isn't just pressed in either if you dont believe me, try taking that steel sleeve out - in fact do one of the damaged ones -

How would something be bonded to the sleeve and the housing to the point we cant even separate it without ripping it - yea glue all around is a possibility, but I'd almost think they'd err toward safety and inject it as a semi solid polymer and when it cooled, it was gonna withstand Armageddon.

Like I said, I sent off the SCR's and C spec doesn't have bushing, so I cant experiment, so I'm stuck theorizing with sv as the example.

And believe it or not, it would be cheaper for them to inject the polymer, if you're doing 1 its rather $$$, but doing several million over decades, cheaper with a purpose built machine by far, but the Suzuki GS500 way could be even more $$$ but it could be the most profitable, 5 parts with 5 different part numbers = sales of 5 parts to people who damage/lose them.

I'll almost bet, if the bushing was pressed in, they'd offer it as a "part" you can buy.

Cool.
Srinath.

Offline DelawarePete

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2019, 05:30:31 pm »
If the top triple has to be replaced for any reason it makes more sense for the manufacturer to include the bushings already pressed in rather than selling them separately or expect the original bushings to be removed out the damaged triple and then replaced in a new triple. 

Also, since the SCR and C-Spec didn't require bushings I doubt any time/money/labor was spent machining those holes to have bushings pressed in them.

Grow a beard

Offline aussybolt

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2019, 02:21:55 am »
The bushing or damper is a part and you can buy it have a look in the parts catalogue