Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Odometer issues  (Read 1543 times)

Offline WickedStitch

Odometer issues
« on: October 24, 2021, 04:06:33 pm »
Hit 16,000 miles and all of a sudden it's no longer tracking my miles properly. The trips will work and track correct mileage. I can go 30 miles on trip and main odometer will only mark 3 or 5 miles.

What do I do now?

Offline DrM

Re: Odometer issues
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 05:30:38 pm »
Yo don't say where you are located but I doubt you have to do anything at all to it.  Since both your trip meters work, just leave one un-reset so you can track your total milage.  You don't say whether your meter is OEM (original equipment manufacture) or an aftermarket like a Kosometer.  If it is OEM, and you like it, you can probably buy one from a Koso meter fan, and avoid exhorbitant dealer prices.  Or if you like the Koso meter, now would be the time to get one. 

Offline E

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 03:44:36 pm »
that is a nuisance - write down mileage, use TRIP Meter to track your additional miles
(1) i have STOCK Speedometer for sale - approx 5,300 miles - ask Yamaha dealer if they can reset it to your mileage
(2) buy a KOSO meter (it has ability to SET the mileage on it) buy NEW thru ebay $290, other person, or KOSO $365
(3) i bought KOSO meter
E - 1st John 4:10

• Advertisement

Offline WickedStitch

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 09:37:18 pm »
Yo don't say where you are located but I doubt you have to do anything at all to it.  Since both your trip meters work, just leave one un-reset so you can track your total milage.  You don't say whether your meter is OEM (original equipment manufacture) or an aftermarket like a Kosometer.  If it is OEM, and you like it, you can probably buy one from a Koso meter fan, and avoid exhorbitant dealer prices.  Or if you like the Koso meter, now would be the time to get one.

Thanks for your response. Yes, it's stock. It's irritating to have to set and reset and keep track of total mileage. It should just work. Doesn't make sense how the trips work but it won't register the mileage. I was hoping a sensor or something might be filthy and that would solve it. Looks like I'm getting a Kosometer. :-\

Offline WickedStitch

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 09:41:03 pm »
that is a nuisance - write down mileage, use TRIP Meter to track your additional miles
(1) i have STOCK Speedometer for sale - approx 5,300 miles - ask Yamaha dealer if they can reset it to your mileage
(2) buy a KOSO meter (it has ability to SET the mileage on it) buy NEW thru ebay $290, other person, or KOSO $365
(3) i bought KOSO meter

Thanks... yeah it truly is a nuisance. I was hoping it was as simple as wiping off a filthy sensor.
Looks like I'm gonna get a Kosometer.

Offline Doug

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 10:06:39 pm »
My Bolt is new and the speedo works fine. I just got a new Koso unit because the stock speedo is hard to see, doesn't show what gear I'm in and has no tach.

Offline Gr8

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 01:28:11 pm »
I have a used Koso TNT Speedometer that I am thinking of selling. PM me if you are interested.