Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Engine Code 37  (Read 752 times)

Offline heilige fiets

Engine Code 37
« on: September 02, 2021, 07:11:43 pm »
So i recently installed a V&H Vo2 and i already have a V&H competition 2 in 1. i took the bike out for a rip and it started shutting off and running a high idle. Eventually it popped a engine code 37. So i checked the ISC, the plug, its wiring and the ECU and everything checked out fine. So Im not sure if this could possibly be from incorrect AFRs or because the ISC is shot. But the bike will run fine for a couple minutes until i start riding. Then the code pops, but it will clear after i leave it off for so long. Could anybody give me some advice, i don't mind pulling the tank and checking further into the wiring. Also if i maybe just need a tuner or if i need to replace the whole throttle body. Im open to your guys thoughts. by the way the bike never ran like this until i put the VO2 intake on. It ran fine with the stock air intake.

Offline joko

Re: Engine Code 37
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 09:09:49 pm »
I guess the first thing I'd do is put the stock intake back on and see if that clears the issue.

Offline heilige fiets

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 09:45:57 pm »
I’ll do that, just seems strange that the intake would pop a code like 37. Unless it was a vacuum leak maybe. Well I’ll do that and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Offline Sattes

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 01:16:36 am »
ISC can't maintain idle do to so much air being let in and cpu parameters are out of spec.  This is why you should run a tuner or get a flash done to your cpu.  Check for vaccuum leak.  Missed vaccuum line.  Comp exhaust and vo2 is a lot more air in and out then stock can probably handle.  Since I put just my exhaust on my idle surges a bit.  I can only imagine what a vo2 would do.  Good luck to you man.

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 11:10:48 pm »
An aftermarket filter shouldn't affect idle. The idle circuit gets air thru a very small hole so any filter is going let in as much air as it wants.
C-SPƎC

Offline heilige fiets

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 12:53:51 am »
well i can definitely rule out that it might be the VO2. I reinstalled my stock filter and the code popped not after long. Im going to rip the tank off and dive deeper into the wiring and maybe be able to get a better look at the vacuum line and throttle body.

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 09:57:02 am »
Check for a vacuum leak at the nipples and hose going to the MAP sensor on top of the TB. If that's not the problem, disconnect the O2 sensor plug so the bike can run off the mapped fueling (open loop mode) by default. The check engine light will stay on but the bike should run better. After that, try removing the O2 sensor from the exhaust but leave it connected so it can sniff fresh air. I'd expect it to run the same as unplugging it but without having the engine light on.
C-SPƎC