Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Hi from Ohio!  (Read 437 times)

Offline Vespista313

Hi from Ohio!
« on: May 25, 2021, 03:09:12 pm »
Just a quick note to say hi - I'm picking up a 2017 Bolt R-Spec tomorrow, and I'm really excited. I live in Delaware, Ohio, and have been riding large frame Vespas for about 15 years, but this is my first full-sized motorcycle. Super excited for summer riding season!

Offline DrM

Re: Hi from Ohio!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 04:28:04 pm »
Welcome to the Bolt club.  If you haven't already done it, sign up for a Motorcycle Safety Course and learn some tricks for staying upright and alive, and especially counter-steering.  Your Bolt will have a lot more heft than a Vespa, and easy to drop.  Take it easy until you get used to the bike and how it handles.

Offline E

Re: Hi from Ohio!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 11:28:39 am »
Congrats on BOLT purchase - now into motorcycle riding
My experience , suggestions - i was self-taught and rode my brothers Yamaha 400 Special (100 lbs lighter) in summer of being age 17 and 18 (he joined marines)
at age 55 i rode again - last year 2020 was my first bike purchase BOLT - i took the $150 +/- motorcycle course , then i just passed eye exam and received license CO
LEARN THIS (my novice advise) -
do Not use Front Brake in turns , i use down shift Engine Braking (little Rear braking is okay)
highway sign says 50 mph around Sharp Turn (do 50 or less for the first dozen Rides - or always) .......
IF you are going to FAST into a Turn - daydream about Professional Racer Motorcyclist whom LEAN DEEP DOWN into Turn .... PUSH on the handlebars
BETTER TO lay the Bike on it's SIDE first - MEANING - do NOT get Nervous and Pull Up on handlebar or do a front brake,
IF TURN Goes Right, then PUSH on handlebars - Right Hand harder, lean body mass to the Right
E - 1st John 4:10