Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: electrical technologies  (Read 1150 times)

Offline VIKEN

electrical technologies
« on: April 08, 2021, 12:51:19 am »
We all know how much more advance automotive electriclas are compared to motorcycles. I there anything from that world that you wished you had on your Bolt, if so what is it and why?

Also what other electrical function mods do you guys do to your Bolt if at all (other than bulbs to LED conversions of course, more whizzy shit)?

I like the auto dimming of headlights when cars turn signal goes on. On bikes where signal lights are usually close to  super bright LED headlights, drivers in front of you wont be able to tell if you have your signals on. Some type of electronic controller would be nice to have this.

Thoughts? Cheers

Offline DrM

Re: electrical technologies
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 08:32:45 am »
The Bolt is pretty basic except engine control (ECU).  All I've done is relocate the turn signals (lowered the front signals to better accommodate a windshield, and relocated the rear signals further aft to accommodate bigger saddle bags), and add two electrical circuits directly to the battery (one for my Garmin Zumo XT GPS unit, and one for my Tire Pressure Monitoring System.)

Offline VIKEN

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 10:35:45 pm »
The Bolt is pretty basic except engine control (ECU).  All I've done is relocate the turn signals (lowered the front signals to better accommodate a windshield, and relocated the rear signals further aft to accommodate bigger saddle bags), and add two electrical circuits directly to the battery (one for my Garmin Zumo XT GPS unit, and one for my Tire Pressure Monitoring System.)

It is pretty basic, it's a "blank canvas" from the factory after all. What I'm interested in is what y'all like/wish/hope your Bolt has for electricals/functions...

TPMS I can understand. What'ts your reason for getting the Garmin vs a smart phone for GPS?

• Advertisement

Offline David77

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 05:14:24 am »
Some sort of gyro-function would be nice, enabling the rider to break hard even in curves and still keep "on track". I think the technology is called IMU, but I'm not sure...

Offline DrM

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 07:57:59 am »

It is pretty basic, it's a "blank canvas" from the factory after all. What I'm interested in is what y'all like/wish/hope your Bolt has for electricals/functions...

TPMS I can understand. What'ts your reason for getting the Garmin vs a smart phone for GPS?
The Zumo XT GPS unit is weather and waterproof while my cell phone is not.  In addition, it also has better exploration options, is more vibration tolerant, tracks my mileage, alerts me when I am speeding, integrates with my phone for music and hands-free calls, and integrates with my bluetooth earbuds.  Also, it easily transfers to my pickup truck.  Of course, if you spent a grand on your cell phone and it is weatherproof and waterproof, then might as well use it for GPS.

Offline AlanSmith7

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 03:03:18 pm »
 I like Its display really glove-friendly and rain-resistant. It can resist all kinds of weather, extreme temperatures, and vibrations. Get adventurous routes with turn-by-turn directions for on-road navigation and without purchasing any monthly or yearly subscription. It is pretty much easy to use.

Offline Darenver

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 10:07:32 pm »
 ;D ;D