Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Zombie Performance Bars Ordered!  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Redbeard89

Zombie Performance Bars Ordered!
« on: January 20, 2021, 07:28:51 am »
I ordered the tall taco bars last week, went with the 12" option. Ordered the Baron +12 cable kit, and the 310 Parts hard mount kit. I have read that there is enough of the control wiring in the loom that can be unwrapped and rerouted around the triple tree, anyone know if that is true? Also, when running the new cables, is it best to remove the gas tank or should I be able to fish them through with it still on? I've seen some that leave it on, some that only lift the back of the tank, and some that take it completely off.

Bolts n' Hoes

Offline DrM

Re: Zombie Performance Bars Ordered!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 08:26:01 am »
I found some slack in the wiring to the handle bars by carefully unwrapping the tape around the wiring bundle until I came to a fold in the wiring, and that and rerouting the cable from forward of the triple clamp to rearward of it gave me plenty of slack - but I can't say that wiring fold exists in all bikes.  I didn't have to touch the tank for that.  My aftermarket bars are only 7" rise, and I don't know that the wiring fold is enough for a 12" rise.  A lot may depend on how much pullback you get on the placement you want.

As to feeding in the new cables, I would just tape the new cable end to the old cable and pull it in as I pulled the old cable out - no need to remove the tank.  Just make sure that the tape is strong and doesn't  have any protrusions to form a snag.

Offline Redbeard89

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 08:38:57 am »
Hey, thanks for the reply brother! I had the same idea of taping the ends of the cables, that's how we used to pull new control wiring when I was a pipe fitter. I'll give it a shot for sure. If I do need to extend the wiring, I am assuming that would be 18 ga stranded? I'll try to find some extra in the bundle before going that route though.
Bolts n' Hoes

• Advertisement

Offline DrM

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 01:22:52 pm »
This video may help you with wiring reroute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfSBWC2hz-4&ab_channel=San

Offline Redbeard89

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 01:43:45 pm »
Wow, that's great! Thanks man.
Bolts n' Hoes

Offline atsmurat

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 11:29:04 am »
This video may help you with wiring reroute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfSBWC2hz-4&ab_channel=San

thank you mate.