Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Bike dies after starting up.  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Thatpolishguy

Bike dies after starting up.
« on: December 27, 2020, 02:10:31 pm »
My bolts been acting up lately, problem started 2 weeks ago when the fuel light turned on. I thought it was strange as I fueled it recently and the trip only read 95 miles. As im driving to the gas station it turns off on me in the middle of the road, thought maybe I was leaking gas but got it back on and made it to a shell. Only filled about 2 gallons of gas so I had a tank of old gas left, tried to turn it on and it was sputtering not giving me any power. Luckily met a nice mechanic and he jumped it which got it running and made it back home about 30 miles. Ok so I thought I need a new battery but I kept riding it and its been acting normally on short trips. That is until about a few days ago same problem low fuel light and dies almost immediately, had to push it home. I refueled it and checked the battery which is at 12.5 and its not showing any error codes. Itll start up but dies almost instantly and makes a strange whining noise. Any mechanics out there have any advice. I enclosed a video maybe the sound can give a clue. Thanks so much guys.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk8sXKK2I24

Offline Sdaniels

Re: Bike dies after starting up.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 02:29:47 pm »
I didn't hear your fuel pump prime before it fired up...I'm betting that's your problem.  You should hear this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah9VOYYIHBQ&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 02:33:38 pm by Sdaniels »
2015 C-spec

Offline Thatpolishguy

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 03:14:06 pm »
Yeah its quiet when I turn the key this is what it sounded like about a couple months back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nyLpis0-9k. Maybe it was on its way out. Its also got a bit of surface rust on the inside of the tank hoping the actual fuel tank is in decent shape. Ill start taking it off today. If it is the fuel pump should I go oem or are there any cheaper options that are reliable.

• Advertisement

Offline Sdaniels

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 08:16:06 am »
I don't think there are non-stock options for the fuel pump...and I've read it's going to cost you  :-\
2015 C-spec

Offline DrM

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 12:26:28 pm »
If you verify that it is indeed a fuel pump failure, then I would be taking it off the bike and seeing if I could repair it.  To my knowledge, mechanics don't bother repairing parts, but rather just replace them.  But often time a part can be repaired, which could possibly save you a bundle of cash. 

Offline Sdaniels

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 02:48:52 pm »
If you verify that it is indeed a fuel pump failure, then I would be taking it off the bike and seeing if I could repair it.  To my knowledge, mechanics don't bother repairing parts, but rather just replace them.  But often time a part can be repaired, which could possibly save you a bundle of cash.

Is the pump rebuildable?  What typically goes bad on them?  Yeah, he'll definitely save some cash...about $280  :-[
2015 C-spec

Offline Sdaniels

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 03:24:38 pm »
2015 C-spec

Offline DrM

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 05:05:11 pm »
Hey, found this from a post here about 2 years ago...https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-35474928-quantum-intank-efi-fuel-pump-for-yamaha-bolt-efi-2014-2020-replaces-1tp-13907-00-00.html.
Wow!  That is a great find!  plus free lifetime replacement warranty and free shipping!  I should start saving these kind of replacement sources so I can find them again if I ever need them.

Offline Thatpolishguy

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 10:38:41 pm »
Woah definitely cheaper than OEM, almost too good to be true. I will take the pump to my mechanic to test it to see if it is indeed faulty. Not  sure I have the technical knowledge to rebuild a fuel pump but will look into it. Yup 300 is a killer a specially since I just bought new tires and rebuilt the rear brake calipers. Life lesson learned, sometimes a the cheaper bike will end up costing you in the long run.

Offline Thatpolishguy

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 05:48:23 pm »
So an update it is the fuel pump mechanic said it was be about 580 with labor to replace. Anyone have any experience replacing a fuel pump on this bike, is it a complicated process?

Offline DrM

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 07:57:30 pm »
So an update it is the fuel pump mechanic said it was be about 580 with labor to replace. Anyone have any experience replacing a fuel pump on this bike, is it a complicated process?
It would be helpful if you had a service manual for your year and model, but it is a relatively easy piece to replace.  If you buy the aftermarket fuel pump, it should also come with instructions.  You have to remove the fuel tank to access the fuel pump, and there are some connectors you will have to disconnect in doing that.  But after that it is basically remove the fittings to the fuel pump, remove the old fuel pump, install the new fuel pump, and reconnect the connectors to it.  Then put the tank back on a reconnect it.

In the 2017-2018 Service manual, the fuel tank and fuel pump are in section 6: https://www.yamahastarbolt.com/index.php?topic=27080.0
You'll have sign into dropbox or create a dropbox account, but it is free.

Offline Thatpolishguy

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 12:12:11 pm »
So an update there was rust in the tank did my best to get rid of as much of it as possible and replaced the fuel pump wasnt that hard of a job. Bikes running great now but the low fuel light is constantly on. The new pump is oem so is the computer not recognizing the new pump or did I somehow damage the sender unit in the process?

Offline DrM

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 03:04:39 pm »
So an update there was rust in the tank did my best to get rid of as much of it as possible and replaced the fuel pump wasnt that hard of a job. Bikes running great now but the low fuel light is constantly on. The new pump is oem so is the computer not recognizing the new pump or did I somehow damage the sender unit in the process?
I'm not sure if the low fuel light  comes on if the circuit is open or closed.  So this is a general discussion of electrical faults:
1) check your fuses -- actually run a continuity check on them, not just visual inspection, replace any defective fuses and see if the low fuel light works.
2) loose connection somewhere that is connected with the low fuel light -- this one one can be harder, in that if the wire is free (not connected) you can usually see it, but if it is just loose in the connector, than you might not be able to see it or detect it easily.  Best thing is to take the tank off again and check every fitting and connection.
3) The sender may be bad due to rust contamination.  You may be able to clean it -- or you may have to replace it.