Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Tensioner Cap Leak  (Read 348 times)

Offline dcdshadow1

Tensioner Cap Leak
« on: November 21, 2020, 01:04:25 am »
Hey guys just wanted to get some insight on this, I’ve had my bolt for around 6-8 months or so, about 3,000 miles on it. While doing a canyon run the other day at the end I noticed some oil on my crankcase. When getting home I did a full inspection and determined that the front cylinder tensioner cap was leaking from the bottom bolt. I throughly cleaned the engine of oil and checked torque on the bolt and other bolts. The lower cap bolt needed torque, so I torqued it back to spec. Checked oil level and the leak was minor so I didn’t notice any drop.

I rode it around today as normal and it appears to be leaking again. Any thoughts? Should I replace the bolts and gasket for the cap? Should I take this to the dealer for a warranty thing? Just wanna know what’s going on.

I currently use Full Syn Redline 20w-50.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks guy.

Offline DrM

Re: Tensioner Cap Leak
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 12:10:06 pm »
If you bought from a dealer, and it is still in warranty, then I would call the service manager and discuss it with him as to whether it would be considered a warranted item.  Not everything is covered in the warranty (for example, fuses).  You could then make an appointment to bring the bike in.  Some dealers will come and get your bike.  Expect them to take a few days.