Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: 4000 miles and One Year Later -- will I keep it?  (Read 3578 times)

Offline DrM

4000 miles and One Year Later -- will I keep it?
« on: October 03, 2020, 06:24:00 pm »
2019 Yamaha Bolt R-spec: 4000 miles and One Year Later

Many Plusses – Some Minuses

ITEM/Factor                           Plus (+)                               Minus (-)                    Comment

As an Urban/Suburban bike   Outstanding                                                           Very quick, Nimble, Great milage, Very reliable

Traffic lights/stops                                                               Bad                         Engine heat can burn your right leg and often your left

As a Freeway bike                      Very good                                                           For short freeways

As a Highway/Touring bike           Good                                                              For short trips   
                                                                                             Bad                          For long trips   

I can stand some short segments of 70+ mph highway speeds, but it gets tiresome on long stretches because of an uncomfortable OEM seat and poor wind management around the head.  Also, would be better with a 6th gear.

How do I like it?  For the type of riding I mostly do, I like it.  I won’t say I love it, but I’m close.

Will I keep it?  Likely, I will keep this bike.  I like how it looks, and I suspect the production run for the Yamaha Bolt is nearing its end, and this is an icon I personally like and want to possess.  And for what riding I actually do, it is mostly a fun bike to ride.

Offline David77

Re: 4000 miles and One Year Later -- will I keep it?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 03:01:51 am »
Agree with most of it! Especially the 6th gear!

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 10:52:33 am »
You don't need 6 gears on a bike with a such a wide power band as the Bolt. Six speeds are used on bikes with much narrower power bands. You only need a larger countershaft pulley or smaller driven pulley if you're trying to lower the revs at highway speeds.
C-SPƎC

• Advertisement

Offline DrM

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 11:19:13 am »
You don't need 6 gears on a bike with a such a wide power band as the Bolt. Six speeds are used on bikes with much narrower power bands. You only need a larger countershaft pulley or smaller driven pulley if you're trying to lower the revs at highway speeds.
Speak for yourself, but I would leave all the current 5 gear ratios as they are and add a 6th gear!

Offline E

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 12:35:25 pm »
6th GEAR thought
BOLT 4,000 rpm to achieve 77 mph as i recall (75 mph is Colorado interstate highway speed)
My car - 4 cylinder, 200 HP Turbo at 3,500 rpm is 85 mph (4,000 rpm is 95 mph)
- is my BOLT engine stressed on highway similar to driving my CAR at 95 mph or more daily ?
I ride 10 miles to work on interstate thru the summer
HOT engine at legs or feet - during summer i did notice HEAT blowing towards my Right Ankle / Foot area
thankfully i never burned myself
I have K&N cold air intake filter - my RIGHT Knee does wish i had about 2" More clearance - so that i could HUG Bike with my knees on CORNERING at highway speeds (55 mph hairpin turns on State highways)
E - 1st John 4:10

Offline west.c.ridez

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 07:06:31 pm »
Hey DrM

You mentioned the discontinuation of the Bolt is nearing it's end. I'm curious to know what makes you think that?

I thought their sales have been exceptional.

Offline DrM

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 07:25:55 pm »
Hey DrM

You mentioned the discontinuation of the Bolt is nearing it's end. I'm curious to know what makes you think that?

Some things I notice, like same color last three years (not trying to bring out any model that even looks new), substantially lower end of year prices, and mostly a niche market that has fewer and fewer patrons.  Just looks to me like the manufacturer is depleting their existing inventory.

Offline west.c.ridez

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 08:51:59 pm »
Hey DrM

Some things I notice, like same color last three years (not trying to bring out any model that even looks new), substantially lower end of year prices, and mostly a niche market that has fewer and fewer patrons.  Just looks to me like the manufacturer is depleting their existing inventory.

Thanks. I'm always interested in the business aspect of any industry I'm into.

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 09:55:53 pm »
Speak for yourself, but I would leave all the current 5 gear ratios as they are and add a 6th gear!

My point is that a "torquey" bike with a broad torque range like the Bolt can't benefit from more gears which is why they don't have them amongst other reasons. A bike with a peaky torque curve will need more gears to keep in a narrow range or it'll fall off the power band when upshifted. That'll never happen with the Bolt because it has more than enough torque available between shifts with only 5 gears. Electric bikes have an extemely flat torque curve so they only need one gear. Add a hot enough cam, etc. to the Bolt and you might want/need more gears.
C-SPƎC

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 10:52:32 pm »
Hey DrM

The 2021 R-Spec parts list shows new graphics but no list for the standard Bolt. That model might be dropped.
C-SPƎC

Offline DrM

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 12:19:27 am »
Hey DrM

The 2021 R-Spec parts list shows new graphics but no list for the standard Bolt. That model might be dropped.
You are so right -- only two models shown for 2021: One R-spec for California, and one R-spec doe the rest of the US, and no basic model for either.

You have any idea of the color(s) to be used?

Offline tramp

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 05:18:44 am »
6 yrs and 37,000 miles later would i keep it?
i think i'll go for a ride and think about it
drive it like you stole it

Offline Crilly Wizard

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 07:23:55 am »
I like the 5 gear ratios as they are, and 5th gear is fine for constant 70mph.
I might like a close ratio 6th for highway cruising at 85mph though.

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 02:27:34 pm »
My C-Spec is a keeper because it's perfect for 2-up riding once I got the rear seat sorted out and Progressive shocks installed. No complaints about the motor after getting the ECU flashed. OEM mirrors shook so I replaced those. Steering bearings still need to be replaced before I can say it's perfect.
C-SPƎC

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 04:13:58 am »
Quote from: DrM
You have any idea of the color(s) to be used?

The descripion for the rims says they are for MDYNM2 so the tank is black and the graphics should be Mat Dark Yellowish Gray Metalic #2.

There're now 10 different sets of cast wheels for the Bolt. 00-00 (high gloss), 10-0X (red stripe), 10-1X (white stripe), 10-2X (red tri-stripe), 10-4X (yellow tri-stripe), 10-5X (dark red tri-stripe), 10-6X (gray tri-stripe), 10-7X (gray stripe), 10-98 and 10-P0 (?). Not sure but I think X means Low Gloss Black.
C-SPƎC