Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Greetings from Tennessee!  (Read 1047 times)

Offline tlaughlin89

Greetings from Tennessee!
« on: September 11, 2020, 02:10:17 pm »
Hello,

My name is Thomas. I am a 30 year old cop/ graduate student from Bristol, Tennessee. I have wanted a bike for a while and I ultimately would like to get a Street Glide; however, I did not want to start on something that big. I grew up riding dirtbikes, which helped me in the MSF class I took a few weeks ago. I will finish my masters degree in early October, so I bought myself an early graduation present. On Tuesday, I bought a 2014 Bolt with 5k miles from Honda of Knoxville. On our maiden voyage yesterday, I took the bolt for a 42 mile stroll. The bike is pretty much all stock except for some LEDs.

I'm debating on whether I want to change the exhaust out. I like the loud, deep tone from a V-twin but I don't want to waste my money. At 6'3" I would also like to move the controls forward a bit. I might also do an Ivan's reflash.

V/r,

Thomas

Offline DrM

Re: Greetings from Tennessee!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 03:58:07 pm »
Welcome to the Bolt club. 

Offline TerminalVelocity

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 06:30:24 pm »
Hi Thomas. Those mods are probably the first that many of us do. The Ivan's flash resolved the backfires that I heard before and increased power. Pipes should be loud on this bike. Those would be the first things I'd address. If you move the foot controls, go all the way forward. I believe that mine from low & mean gave me 8"
-Keep riding. That solves most problems.

Drew.

• Advertisement

Offline tlaughlin89

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 10:05:39 am »
The low & mean kit is sold out and their website says they are looking for a new manufacturer. I'm tempted to order the 6" kit for SS Custom Cycles.

Offline DrM

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 11:06:21 am »
The low & mean kit is sold out and their website says they are looking for a new manufacturer. I'm tempted to order the 6" kit for SS Custom Cycles.
You're pretty tall, and might like the Low & Mean kit (if they had one), but in my estimate, it sticks out too far in front.  I like the SSCustom Cycle solution, but then I'm only 5'-10" and shrinking by the year.  Of course, you could subsequently modify the SS Custom kit to suit your leg-stretching needs.

Offline taoster

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 12:47:21 pm »
As a 6’3 rider myself, I know how uncomfortable you are on the stock bike. Best upgrade to make the bike more comfortable are risers (4.5-8 inches) and get the straightest mid bend handlebar you can find. That makes the world of a difference in comfort.

Offline tlaughlin89

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 09:31:38 pm »
What’s the difference in installing larger risers versus taller handlebars? How high can you go without need new cables?

Offline taoster

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 10:26:03 pm »
What’s the difference in installing larger risers versus taller handlebars? How high can you go without need new cables?

i guess it's the type of look you want. Some people will put ape hangers instead of taller risers because that's the look they desire. Some people don't like the look of ape hangers so they get taller risers and use the stock or aftermarket handlebar to achieve a more "sporty" look.

Offline E

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 06:42:41 pm »
congrats Thomas on your 2014 Yamaha Bolt , nice w Low Miles
my suggested upgrades
KOSO speedometer / tachometer also shows what gear your are in - Ebay New at $285+ from Koso web page at $365
i painted RED my heat shields on exhaust, and 2 removable Covers - or stay with silver stock (mask and paint mirrors gloss black too)

E - 1st John 4:10

Offline legion95928

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 11:23:50 am »
Welcome , Northernly Neighbor!!

You wont regret the Bolt over an HD unless you just "want an HD"... and you won't have to trailer your Bolt unless you Want to...

Brett
2014 R spec
OEM Fender Eliminator
Cheap-o aftermarket Mirrors
Koso Speedo
Ceramacoated Exhaust Heat Shields
Kuryakyn Hypercharger
Cobra fi2000R EFC
--some flat black spray paint tastefully applied
massive drill bit jammed down the Stock mufflah...AND...
- my stupid Front Fender is on Backwards