Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Is this bolt a buy?  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Crilly Wizard

Re: Is this bolt a buy?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 03:41:43 pm »
Maybe UK bikes have a different service manual timetable, which is strange.
Mine definitely 12k and 24k. Maybe something to do with emissions laws?

Offline DrM

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 05:04:51 pm »
Here in the great state of Hell, uh, I mean Texas, motorcycles don't get checked for emissions, just do turn signals work, does the headlight work, does brake light work, do the brakes work -- that's it, get out.

Offline Sdaniels

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2020, 05:36:26 pm »

Who knows....you're right, strange.
2015 C-spec

• Advertisement

Offline Pir8

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2020, 08:51:26 pm »
Best thing to do is take a friend that knows motorcycles. Also, tell them you want the bike to be COLD when you get there.  Test this by checking the exhaust pipe for heat with your hand. 

Also, watch these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKGZdsIkLog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea2VK1jwdsg

When checking the title to the VIN, make DAMN sure it MATCHES.  No 1s that should be Ls.  This may be totally innocent, but could cause you SERIOUS issues.

As to mileage, if I was looking at those two bikes you mentioned, I'd be MORE interested in the one with HIGHER mileage.  Bikes that sit, rot.  If one had 80k and one had 1k, I'd look at the 1k, but between 8k and 1k, I'd be more interested in the 8k bike (at that age).  This is just a rule of thumb, so YMMV. Some 1k bikes are museum pieces well cared for by loving owners, most are evil beasts that scared the crap out of their owners who neglected them entirely.  Is there an SAE pigtail for a battery tender? What tender was used? Rolled every couple weeks to save the tires? Born on date for tires?

These bikes are HIGHLY reliable, and at less than 10k, odds are, you're onto a great bike.

Good luck!

Offline west.c.ridez

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2020, 10:25:16 pm »
Funny how things work out. Right before I was about to leave to see this 2014 R-Spec, I get a notification on a 2015 R-Spec. Everything checked out and it was $1K lower. Went there, paid in cash, rode back home.

I'm officially a Bolt owner. Thanks everyone that took time to answer all my questions. You guys rock!

Offline DrM

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2020, 10:45:58 pm »
Funny how things work out. Right before I was about to leave to see this 2014 R-Spec, I get a notification on a 2015 R-Spec. Everything checked out and it was $1K lower. Went there, paid in cash, rode back home.

I'm officially a Bolt owner. Thanks everyone that took time to answer all my questions. You guys rock!
Welcome to the Bolt club.  If your new to motorcycles, or to wide cruisers like the Bolt, then take your time getting used to it before you try peg-scrapping in curves or handling.  If you haven't taken a motorcycle safety course, sign up for one -- you'll learn a lot.  If you don't know counter-steering, then learn it fast, as it gives you far more instant control over the bike, especially in sharp turns.  Also, practice feathering the throttle and brakes when manueveing at slow speeds -- you'll control the bike better and are less likely to fall over.

Offline west.c.ridez

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 12:12:58 am »

Welcome to the Bolt club.  If your new to motorcycles, or to wide cruisers like the Bolt, then take your time getting used to it before you try peg-scrapping in curves or handling.  If you haven't taken a motorcycle safety course, sign up for one -- you'll learn a lot.  If you don't know counter-steering, then learn it fast, as it gives you far more instant control over the bike, especially in sharp turns.  Also, practice feathering the throttle and brakes when manueveing at slow speeds -- you'll control the bike better and are less likely to fall over.

Much appreciated DrM! This is my first Bolt, but 3rd bike. My first two were dual sports, so this definitely feels completely different than the typical high seat upright position.

I was pleasantly surprised how light the weight is and how smooth it handles regular street turns.

Offline tx1c

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 01:53:51 pm »
I hope that's a good deal. 
I'm not looking to buy or sell anytime soon, but the OP's description matches what I have, except I have about half as many miles on it.

The low mileage is due to it becoming my secondary bike / wife's bike, and she (the wife) has been having to do some medical recovery before she can hop back on.  But should be coming soon though.