Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Vance and hines twin slash dead horse question  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Nitsujc

Vance and hines twin slash dead horse question
« on: April 25, 2021, 01:47:43 pm »
Hi guys, I realize this has probably been beat to death as I did search and sort of got an answer? The links in the thread unfortunately dead ended. I was pulled over and given a vehicle inspection notice for my twin slash exhaust being too loud...long story short I'm now trying to hunt down a set of quiet baffles for it. I've found the part number 21899 in a few threads that apparently works but when I look it up it seems the size varies from website to website. Can anyone confirm a part number that does work with these pipes? Love the look of them so im trying to make them legal-ish

Appreciate the help. Thanks

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
Re: Vance and hines twin slash dead horse question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 02:36:34 am »
Damn - I put the V&H baffles in mine, but that was 7 years ago, and I can't find or remember the part number....  I'll say they were a PAIN in the A$$ to put it - but worth it.

I DO remember setting off EVERY car and house alarm on my street when I rode past..... and getting noise complaints from Harley riders with open pipes, though!!!! ;D 

They're still loud when I twist the throttle, but at least my neighbours don't hate me!
NOBODY hates winter more than a Canadian Biker!

Offline bw03

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 06:56:24 am »
I think the 21899 part number is what you want.  I did some searching and, you are right, in that it shows a bunch of different sizes but if you dig deeper, you'll find that part 21899 is "1 1/2 in. quiet baffle for Vance and Hines 3 in. muffler"  In the below link, it says 2.5" but in the description, it does list it right.

https://www.amazon.com/Vance-Hines-2-5in-Quiet-Baffle/dp/B0031BGZ5Y

Basically, find the best price for part 21899 and go with it.

• Advertisement

Offline Dubdubz

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 02:23:28 pm »
I emailed V&H and they responded first saying that they did not do a quiet baffle for the Bolt part no 48531

I then responded and said I had seen 21899 being mentioned and the reply was that would not fit.

"Yes we were behind on the emails and have been working hard to try and catch up. But unfortunately, no, the 21899 does not work with this system.

Thank you,

Customer Service Team

VANCE & HINES

13861 Rosecrans Ave. Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

t. (800) 592-2529  f. (562) 802-0110"

Offline bw03

Offline Dubdubz

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 07:58:57 am »
The video is of 21897 and not the 21899 - but I have messaged Revzilla too. I just can't see V&H saying its not for the system if it is? I do wonder if it happens to be ok but is not officially but then I'd expected a slightly fuzzy response saying they dont recommend it or something?

Offline bw03

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 08:49:03 pm »
My guess is both parts, 21897 and 21899,  wasn't made for the Bolt twin slash system but people have gotten them to work.  The good thing about the one in the video is that they put the whole install on youtube..