Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Who has the cobra intake with the cobra slip on exhaust?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline zhamid

Who has the cobra intake with the cobra slip on exhaust?
« on: August 18, 2020, 08:47:37 pm »
As the subject says, looking for Bolters with the Cobra intake and slip on.

Offline DrM

Re: Who has the cobra intake with the cobra slip on exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 06:32:07 am »
I have both, but if you're looking to buy, I'm not selling.  If you need info on performance, just ask.

Offline zhamid

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 05:15:39 pm »
Thanks. Which fuel controller do you have?  If you have the cobra fi2000r (the one where you have to manually do pot settings), then can you please tell me what you have it set at?

• Advertisement

Offline DrM

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 06:46:08 am »
Thanks. Which fuel controller do you have?  If you have the cobra fi2000r (the one where you have to manually do pot settings), then can you please tell me what you have it set at?
Sorry, I don't use or have a fuel controller, nor have I remapped the ECU, nor do I intend to.  I do use a bell cover over the air intake which significantly reduces the hiss from the Cobra air intake.  And I went from about 50 mpg to about 58 mpg after the installation of both Cobra air intake and slip-on muffler.  In my opinion, and for my riding style, I don't see a need for a fuel controller, nor remapping.

Offline zhamid

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 11:23:12 am »
Sorry, I don't use or have a fuel controller, nor have I remapped the ECU, nor do I intend to.  I do use a bell cover over the air intake which significantly reduces the hiss from the Cobra air intake.  And I went from about 50 mpg to about 58 mpg after the installation of both Cobra air intake and slip-on muffler.  In my opinion, and for my riding style, I don't see a need for a fuel controller, nor remapping.

That's a really, really, really good feedback, thank you!

Do you have any issues with popping or performance? My bike came with a cobra fi2000r fuel controller and I am n ot happy with it. I am wondering if it's worth going through the effort of removing it. 

Also, what's the Bell cover? I'd love to learn more about it.

Offline DrM

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 12:56:19 pm »
It does occasionally pop and backfire when engine braking, but I don't see that as any problem -- I rather enjoy it -- it is what a motorcycle engine should do in my opinion.  And I love the sound of the engine braking and the bike de-accelerating - and saving the brakes. 

As far as the bell over the Cobra air intake, it has a 7" diameter, and is about 2" deep with a center hole for attachment.  You can find a bunch on eBay (see link below).  They are made for Harley Davidson, but then can be made to fit the cobra round air intake or the Vance & Hinces naked intake.  All I had to do was flatten the dimple around the bell's center hole.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-7-Round-Air-Cleaner-Cover-fits-Harley-Davidson-motorcycle-models/372218213421?epid=657707147&hash=item56a9ef342d:g:MDMAAOSwY6lfMsbu

Offline zhamid

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 01:22:43 pm »
Weekend project: will take out the fuel controller and see. :-)

Offline Yamajamer

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 02:44:36 pm »
I have all 3 Cobra accessories. Did not like popping on decal, slight adjustment got rid of most the popping.

Offline zhamid

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 03:47:37 pm »
I have all 3 Cobra accessories. Did not like popping on decal, slight adjustment got rid of most the popping.

Thanks!  Can you please tell me what your pot settings are?

Offline PSTECHIO

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 05:35:34 pm »
It looks like I have that same set-up and I also have deceleration backfire . . . Actually it is more like when I go to neutral throttle then start to decel and got to neutral throttle again. Anyway, which pot did you adjust (I assume the Idle pot -first on the left) and which wat did you adjust? Higher or lower number? 

Offline Yamajamer

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 05:37:39 pm »
Sorry don't remember. I used it straight out of the box and then adjusted the pot about 1/8-1/4 turn...………...yes, Idle pot think I turned clock wise. Go ahead and adjust  alittle remember where it was in case you have to go back.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 05:44:30 pm by Yamajamer »

Offline zhamid

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 05:41:48 pm »
Sorry don't remember. I used it straight out of the box and then adjusted the pot about 1/8-1/4 turn.

If you get a chance to test, I'll be forever grateful :-D

Offline PSTECHIO

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 05:55:17 pm »

Thanks!  Can you please tell me what your pot settings are?
[/quote]

Which model FMS do you have? . . . Look at this (attachment)

Offline Yamajamer

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 06:06:15 pm »
I found the instructions. Pot on the left or green one. Start by taking it back to zero and adjust (turn clock wise) until its running the way you want, this is for popping on decel. I did this years ago and the bike is running pretty good. Every now and then it pops alittle but not a factor to me, nothing compared to the start. Although I don't remember taking it back to zero, I thought I just turned abit. Default pot settings: green 2.5, yellow 6, red 6. For clarification this is for Fi2000 not Fi2000r
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 06:08:10 pm by Yamajamer »

Offline zhamid

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 06:10:30 pm »
I've seen those, I am trying to get some real world examples of people who hace the Cobra slipon and intake, to see what pot settings they're happy with.