Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Memphis shades El Passo review  (Read 933 times)

Offline Slowpoke

Memphis shades El Passo review
« on: August 03, 2020, 09:04:05 am »
Hi Y’all.
I just purchased a Pre-owned Memphis Shades El Passo 17’ sports shield. I thought I would post my comments for anyone considering a purchase. Since these windscreens can’t be tried out before you put your bucks down maybe someone will benefit from my experience. First off, installation was a bit finicky but went reasonably well considering the previous owner did not have the instructions. I didn't even bother going on line as it was pretty self evident what needed to be done. The quality of the product is top notch. Now on to the ride. I am just 6’ with a 34/35” inseam. 210 lbs. I use an Arai Signet helmet. I run the Stock OEM mirrors and stock OEM seat. I have been running a Fly Screen for most of this season and was finding it pretty well useless over 80kph.
The 17” El Passo is too short by about one hands width.The top of the screen reaches somewhere between my chin and nose, depending on how much I’m slouching. There is significant buffeting off the top of the screen to make riding at even 60kph a real pain. However the pressure off my chest and neck is greatly reduced as one would expect. There is noticeable buffeting on my arms and shoulders but short of installing a ginormous barn door that can be expected I guess. Memphis Shades offers a 19” version which could work but that puts me in a place where I have to take a chance making an on line purchase ($135.00 from Fortnine in Canada) on faith. Another option is to purchase a clip on adjustable extender for between $35.00-$200.00, the cheap ones coming from China, of course. As it stands, if I had purchased this new, for full price, I would be choked. My advice for pretty much everyone looking for a windscreen they can take up to 150kph, DON’T BUY ANYTHING SHORTER THAN THE 19’ WINDSCREEN.
I am making a 2” extension and taping it to the top of my screen and testing it out today. If 2” does the trick then I will probably suck it up and buy the 19” screen from Fortnine as the extenders don’t have the style that I want for this bike. If anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to respond to this post.

Offline bw03

Re: Memphis shades El Passo review
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 10:44:11 am »
I really think it depends on how tall you are. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:35:39 am by bw03 »

Offline Slowpoke

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 03:53:55 pm »
I’m convinced that finding an appropriate windscreen is equal parts Occult and Voodoo. LOL!
This morning I fashioned a cardboard extension to add 2” to the screen and took it for a blast up to 120kph. The buffeting was reduced but not gone. As I settled into a steady 110kph I found myself imagining riding for 3 hours like this. I discovered I would rather stick needles in my eyes than spend 3 hours at highway speeds on this bike. I could hear the designers saying to me “of course you idiot. If you want to do that buy an FJR1300......”. So I got home and as I was getting off the bike I thought: “it’s a quick release. Take it off and go for a ride.” So I did. As I accelerated to 70kph I noticed that the airflow was dead calm. It was there but there was no buffeting at all. Air was hitting my helmet cleanly and the helmet was doing it’s usual incredible job. Quiet as a mouse. I found myself enjoying this bike more in it’s naked state than with the Fly Screen or the Memphis screen. All this got me thinking about my Bolt and how I use it and there the issue was revealed.
Yamaha designed this bike as an urban custom style statement that could be driven. This is a bike that can successfully be modified by it’s owner to showcase their sense of style and facilitate fellowship with other like minded people. It is brilliant if kept close to this narrow focus. Problems start to occur as the owner attempts to make this bike more than what it’s design allows for. Some examples:
 A person can modify the front and rear suspension and those mods will successfully deal with Yamahas budget price point inspired components but this bike will NEVER HANDLE WELL. There are basic flaws in it’s design that hamstring it right out of the gate.
It’s brakes are adequate but no matter what you do to them they will never be great.
It has one of my favourite motors ever but it will never be smooth or powerfully fast no matter how it’s ecu/intake/exhaust is massaged. 
So that brings me back to air flow management. I feel if you leave this bike in the urban environment it was designed for and leave it naked it is pretty well perfect. It’s looks are so cool. Try and make it a proper commuter or tourer that can coddle is rider as they pile on the miles and you will fail spectacularly and end up ending each ride with a bad taste in your mouth.
So to that end I will be putting both my National Cycle Fly Screen and my Memphis Shades 17” El Passo with quick lock hardware up for sale and getting back to the joy of riding this fabulous striped down hot rod of a motorcycle like I stole it.

• Advertisement

Offline DrM

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 04:51:55 pm »
@Slowpok: Truer words were never spoken!  I also ditched my helmet (in warmer weather) and just ride bareheaded with sunglasses.  I know many riders can't do that legally, but down here in Texas we can (and I do.)  Before that, at highway speeds, I always felt like the wind was trying to rip my helmet clean off.  Now the breeze rippling thru my thinning hair feels good. 

Offline MotoMitch

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 04:35:56 am »
Good job Slowpoke!
I went from a cracking Kwaka cruiser with dazzling chromed grease nipples and 6ft screen up front to my midnight, blacked out, chrome free everything Bolter.   It's how it should be...