Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: replacing the 2014 LCD speedometer for the 2015 upgraded version ?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline betox976

apparently the 2015 bolts and newer have an upgraded LCD Speedometer that works better during daytime, i have an 2014 rspec, is it possible to order a 2015 speedometer and just swap them and just plug and play with on my 2014  ? or does it have new features that the 2014 didnt have and will cause problem ?

thanks !

Offline lunkhead

Re: replacing the 2014 LCD speedometer for the 2015 upgraded version ?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 02:42:25 pm »
They're all the same part number now. Only change ever made from '14 on was the tint. The meters that ARE different are used on the C-Spec and SCR.
C-SPƎC

Offline DrM

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 02:42:34 pm »
Yes, you could do that, though you might not find much improvement for the $400+ you spend (more if your dealer installs it.)  You might have better luck just fitting a visor over the meter first and see if that works for you.  Most of the visual problem comes from your eye lens narrowing when facing the sun, which is made even worse if you are wearing sunglasses or you wear photochromatic glasses.  You could also look for a post-2014 wrecked Yamaha Bolt and see what you could get the speedometer for (it is the same part number 2015 on.)  Most people opt to go with a Koso meter rather than the OEM -- and one of the KOSO users may just have an OEM to sell really cheap.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:45:00 pm by DrM »

• Advertisement

Offline E

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 12:57:54 pm »
-- and one of the KOSO users may just have an OEM to sell really cheap.

I have a 2016 meter that has approximately 8,500 miles on it - for Sale $55 plus you pay for shipping UPS Ground
GOOD NEWS - mine will work (i had to re-install mine for a week, and it kept mileage, etc)
BAD News - I do Not know how to adjust the mileage - if your Bike has way different mileage
you may call Yamaha dealer to see if they can adjust the mileage ?

I bought a KOSO meter and installed it on mine
E - 1st John 4:10

Offline Bronxpicman

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 05:42:35 pm »
Well...Anyone though about replacing Your speedo with anything else apart from KOSO?
Have a look at this photos...
YZF R125 speedo connector looks exactly the same...And Honda NC 700(no idea exact model letters) looks the same...
What would You say?

Offline DrM

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 11:03:49 am »
@Bronxpicman and anyone else
Anyone trying these possible substitutes please let us know how it turned out (i.e., does everything function as it should?)