Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin Synthetic Motorcycle Motor Oil?  (Read 6632 times)

Offline lunkhead

Re: Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin Synthetic Motorcycle Motor Oil?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 12:27:49 pm »
DrM, I won't argue with anything you said there. I agree 100% and found that it seems 20w-50 oils have a hard time meeting the JASO standard. The 10w-40 synthetic that I use comes different viscosities that pass but they make a "Heavy Duty" 20w-50 that doesn't. Reading the label, they mention Harley an awful lot. Same with the Mobil 1 "V-Twin" but likewise, not with the lower viscosities.
C-SPƎC

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2020, 01:26:29 pm »
The biggest reason I don't see a need for a 20w-50, extreme pressure additives or extra protection against heat is because the of the low friction roller bearing cam followers and ceramic coated cylinders. The slipper types generate a lot of heat in the head but our roller bearing outer races aren't meant to slip against the cam so they run cool. My old Virago got hot quickly in traffic and pinged easily. It took a lot of throttle to get the Bolt to ping (I wasn't trying) but it went away instantly. The Virago would ping under a much lower load and wouldn't go away until the motor cooled down.
C-SPƎC

Offline DrM

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2020, 01:34:12 pm »
Maybe I'll formulate a new plan for my next oil change:

1) 1 qt. Mobile 1 4t 10W40, JASO MA
2) 1 qt. Yamalube 15W50, JASO MA :)
3) 1 qt. Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin
4) (?) don't know yet what my 4th qt. might be
 :)

• Advertisement

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2020, 02:18:05 pm »
The world is your oyster.  :D
C-SPƎC

Offline DrM

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2020, 04:03:59 pm »
Just kidding about planning to mix oil brands.

But this thread did get me to look at the 4T-spec oils, which all meet Yamaha specs.  There are actually several brands of motorcycles oils worth looking at. And many of them available through Walmart, who are close by and generally have the best prices, and without any shipping charges for ship-to-store.  Yamalube I think I can only get thru the dealer which is a 40+ mile round trip, but that's a nice ride and less than the price of a gallon of gas. 

WalMart (as retailer):
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 API SN, JASO MA full syn motorcycle oil at $9+/qt.
Castrol Power1 4T 10W50 API SL, JASO MA-2 full syn motorcycle oil at $10+/qt.
Castrol Power1 V-Twin 4T 20W-50 API SL, JASO MA-2 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, $10+/qt.
Shell Advance 4T Ultra 15W-50 API SM, JASO MA-2 full syn motorcycle oil at $10+/qt.
Super Tech St  4T 10w40 API SL, JASO MA-2, full syn motorcycle Oil at $8+/qt.
Super Tech  SAE 20W-50 V-Twin API SL, JASO MA-2, full syn motorcycle oil, $8+/qt

Walmart (like Amazon) also offers a storefront for other retailers, but then you get hit with rather high shipping charges.

looking at all these brands, I'm wondering whether there is one just specialty oil shop that produces all or most of them and just rebrands them for various retailers?

Offline taoster

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2020, 07:49:55 pm »
Ok so what brand of oil reduces the valve chatter the most?

Offline DrM

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2020, 11:59:16 pm »
First thing I would look at is are my valves adjusted within spec.  Then my experience is that a heavier weight oil such as a 20W50 probably reduces valve clatter better than a 10W30.  At least that is what I experienced when I first started using Mobil 1 20W50 motorcycle oil on my Honda Shadow.  But I wouldn't want to speculate on which brand is better than another.

Offline 7udro

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2020, 06:31:26 am »
7udro, nobody quoted the manual and an API only rated oil does not make it a "motorcycle" oil. Certainly, not for a jap bike. It MUST have a JASO approval to qualify. Period.
ok now i ask to you

whats the motorcycle oils OUT of specs.

please post them

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2020, 01:07:36 pm »
Here's a short list I found of oils that do pass. I would assume anything not on it probably wouldn't pass.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf
C-SPƎC

Offline 7udro

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 01:36:28 pm »
are you f kidding me.

i said OUT OF SPEC

Offline Sdaniels

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 02:03:09 pm »
are you f kidding me.

i said OUT OF SPEC

Dude...relax a bit
2015 C-spec

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2020, 02:14:54 pm »
7udro, what am I, your boy? My post was pertinent to this thread and that's all that matters to the OP. But you're welcome none the less.  :)
C-SPƎC

Offline Sdaniels

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2020, 02:15:03 pm »
First thing I would look at is are my valves adjusted within spec.  Then my experience is that a heavier weight oil such as a 20W50 probably reduces valve clatter better than a 10W30.  At least that is what I experienced when I first started using Mobil 1 20W50 motorcycle oil on my Honda Shadow.  But I wouldn't want to speculate on which brand is better than another.

Valve adjustment intervals are 16K miles....is it really expected to be out of spec if you're nowhere near that mileage?  Oil weight should be about the climate you're riding in, not any engine noise.
2015 C-spec

Offline DrM

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2020, 05:05:48 pm »

Valve adjustment intervals are 16K miles....is it really expected to be out of spec if you're nowhere near that mileage?  Oil weight should be about the climate you're riding in, not any engine noise.
Bike milage wasn't given, and some owners never adjust their valves until they make a lot of noise.  Just my experience that heavier oils reduce engine clicking and clacking noise.

Offline taoster

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2020, 09:57:59 pm »

Bike milage wasn't given, and some owners never adjust their valves until they make a lot of noise.  Just my experience that heavier oils reduce engine clicking and clacking noise.

my bike is at 6,2** miles as of today. I had Valvoline 10w-40 in it prior to the oil change, then i put in 20w-50 Castrol 4t "vtwin"(was recommended 20w-50 due to California heat).. but as soon as i rode it after the change, i noticed it took much more effort to change gears with my foot. It doesn't bother me, it's just different than what I was used to (i've only had this bike for a few months). Valve chatter got much more noticeable after the oil change as well. I kinda went too deep into the search for the "best" oil for this bike and it drove me a little insane because i'm hearing so many different opinions for every brand.