Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Just Ivan flashed my ECU - nothing said, though, about the 02 sensor???  (Read 996 times)

Offline Starkman

Hey all,

I just got my ECU back from Ivan, and there's nothing in the packaging about disconnecting the 02 sensor. I can't call him because he's closed, so I thought I'd pop on here real quick and ask if the 02 is supposed to be disconnected on my 2017 Bolt? If so, where are some good instructions?

Note, the bike is completely stock.

Thanks.

I test rode a Harley 1200 Sportster, but then I test rode the Bolt R Spec. Sold!

2015 Bolt R Spec, stock

Offline lunkhead

I leave mine disconnected but some people have the warning light come on and have to leave connected or temporarily plug it in. It doesn't matter either way because the ECU no longer runs in that closed-loop mode after the flash.
C-SPƎC

Offline Starkman

It doesn't matter either way because the ECU no longer runs in that closed-loop mode after the flash.

Ah, so it isn't that the 02 sensor can cause problems (other than the warning light coming on)? I thought maybe it had to be disconnected because of some conflict with the ECU or something.
I test rode a Harley 1200 Sportster, but then I test rode the Bolt R Spec. Sold!

2015 Bolt R Spec, stock

• Advertisement

Offline lunkhead

IIRC, early models didn't have a problem (mine's '15). Not sure exactly what year Bolts started getting the light problem. Just leave the O2 sensor in place and unplug it. If it comes on, plug it in. Unfortunately, O2 sensors go bad eventually so sucks to need one just to satisfy the onboard self-diagnostics.
C-SPƎC

Offline Starkman

I gotta find the darned thing first. I know to look for the sensor in the muffler, but following the wire up to wherever it gets unplugged doesn't look like it will be easy.

2015 Bolt R Spec, stock

Offline lunkhead

It's VERY easy.
C-SPƎC

Offline Starkman

We shall see, Lunkhead-son, we shall see!

2015 Bolt R Spec, stock

Offline taoster

We shall see, Lunkhead-son, we shall see!

It’s like 5-7 inches above the sensor.. and just gently flip the inner tab up and pull out

Offline Sdaniels

I had the ecu flashed just a few months ago.  An O2 sensor plug came with the reflashed ecu with instructions to remove the sensor.  Haven't had the light to ever come on. 
2015 C-spec

Offline Starkman

Thanks all.

2015 Bolt R Spec, stock