Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Fork leak just wont STOP !!  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Kevinmathew

Fork leak just wont STOP !!
« on: June 01, 2020, 01:20:12 am »
Please Help !!!!

My bolt (XVS950CU) fork has been leaking since the past few months, I have changed the fork seal 3 times, now the leak has gotten worse. I have no idea if I should be getting a whole new fork or if some other work is to be done ? I am based in UAE and have no idea where to even look for parts.

Offline DrM

Re: Fork leak just wont STOP !!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 08:03:05 am »
I spent many years in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Egypt) and the one thing I remember about it is all the grit and sand particles pick up in the wind.  Unless you have your fork tubes well covered, the grit eventually gets down into your fork seals and destroys them.  So you need to do two things for sure --

1) new fork seals, again, and

2) a good pair of fork gaiters

And you might also have to polish or replate the area on the forks which contact the fork seals, but at least have it inspected for any deep scratches.

Offline Sdaniels

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:04:10 am »
If replacing seals 3 times didn't fix it you've got to have some going on with the fork tubes....some nicks on it or something.  Not to be insulting but you know the seals are not the same as the dust covers, right?
2015 C-spec

• Advertisement

Offline srinath

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 11:16:39 am »
A few yrs ago I did a lot o research on the forkseals in a GS and why they leak profusely and are unfixable.
So unless you have a few pits or rust and other BS - this would be possible reasons why and how to fix it.

The legs wear. Its only a few 1000'ths of an inch but that is a world of difference in oil seals.

The solution was 2-3 fold. The first is to get those bushings that are copper replaced or in my case the guy was coating them with moly Teflon which was thicker and more textured than the original so it takes more oil and swells up more while being a super slick and sacrificial coating.

Second was to measure a whole ton of fork seals and find the one that is tighter than the rest on the ID and use that.

Third - thicker weight fork oil will leak less but well, affects your ride and damping.
These were my observations - and yes gaiters/boots and what not can keep weather/dirt exposure to a minimum.

Cool.
Srinath.