Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Bolt won’t start  (Read 2969 times)

Offline vincent83

Bolt won’t start
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:59:57 pm »
Hi all,

Newbie to the forum here.

Having trouble getting my Bolt to start up. Hasn’t been started for about 6 months as I was out of the country. Battery was completely dead when I tried after coming back, Gauge wouldn’t even light up when I turned the key.

Got a new battery, still can’t get it to start. Gauge powers up, blinkers, brake light and horn work fine.The engine turned for the first couple of times I tried to start but didn’t turn on. Now it doesn’t turn at all and makes this fast clicking sound(video link below)

https://youtu.be/Ts6HAH0AnSA

Any pointers appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

Offline HairyBiker777

Re: Bolt won’t start
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 01:57:05 am »
That's exactly the sound I was getting last weekend - fixed by getting a new battery. Can you check the battery voltage with a multimeter? Should be around 12.4 - 12.6 at rest, dip no lower than 9.6 during cranking and around 14.5 with the engine running.

Try jump-starting it from a car, let it run for 30 mins and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Offline taoster

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 03:26:01 pm »
You either bought a bad battery, or the battery you bought is the kind you need to charge for at least a day first.

• Advertisement

Offline 7udro

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 11:03:03 am »
Thats the normale sound of... Not enough bat voltage. Happened to me two weeks ago.... Two options, you installed some Energy draining device directly to the battery. Or your alternator Is broken

Offline vincent83

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 05:58:11 pm »
Thanks everyone. Charged the battery and am not getting the same issue now.
Also changed spark plugs, siphoned the gas tank and replaced with new gas. Still won’t start though. Video at link below. Any pointers on what I should look at next? Thanks!

https://youtu.be/j33tra-7eJY

Offline joko

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 07:38:55 pm »
Still sounds like a weak battery to me.

How long did you charge it?  I would charge it overnight if you didn't.

I'd also get a volt meter and check the voltage like hairybiker suggested.

Offline vincent83

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 08:19:12 pm »

Thanks. I did charge overnight. Voltmeter gave me a reading of 13.3 disconnected.12.6 with ignition on and 10.1 while cranking.

Also, this is This what the fuel pump priming Should sound like?

https://youtu.be/2ggUVPsF--0

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 08:37:54 pm »
Time for a fuel pump.
C-SPƎC

Offline joko

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 08:55:02 pm »

Thanks. I did charge overnight. Voltmeter gave me a reading of 13.3 disconnected.12.6 with ignition on and 10.1 while cranking.

Also, this is This what the fuel pump priming Should sound like?

https://youtu.be/2ggUVPsF--0

That's not high enough voltage to start the bike.  Mine is at 14.3 disconnected and 13.4-6 w/ ignition on.

Offline vincent83

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 12:50:56 am »
Time for a fuel pump.

Thanks Lunkhead. Curious - you say that because the fuel pump priming sounds off in the video? Or it’s the next logical item to test?

Also, if it does need a new fuel pump, is that something that an amateur like me should attempt on my own or would I be better off taking it somewhere? I tried to search the forums for some videos, couldn’t find any.

Thanks again.

Offline 7udro

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 08:43:50 am »
If you Power on bike with kill switch triggered and then you untrigger it., I hear no fuel pump typical noise 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 10:01:17 am »
Time for a fuel pump.

Thanks Lunkhead. Curious - you say that because the fuel pump priming sounds off in the video? Or it’s the next logical item to test?

Also, if it does need a new fuel pump, is that something that an amateur like me should attempt on my own or would I be better off taking it somewhere? I tried to search the forums for some videos, couldn’t find any.

Thanks again.

Sorry, I missed this post. I was going by how long it sat along with the pump sound in the second video when the battery was strong enough to run the pump normally.
C-SPƎC

Offline vincent83

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 12:10:29 am »
Thanks all. It was the fuel pump. I replaced it this morning and the bike started right up. I’ll post some details about my experience(fairly straightforward) for others that may be looking to replace their fuel pump.

Thanks Lunkhead - you were spot on. The priming of the fuel pump was definitely off, now that I know what it should sound like.

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 02:32:33 pm »
Cool! Did you get OEM?

I'd like to know more about the aftermarket version. I assume it would be a standard automotive part that doesn't come with the model specific parts for mounting like the OEM. The stock pump assembly is probably something designed in Japan around a standard pump made in some other country and assembled in China.
C-SPƎC

Offline vincent83

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 02:41:55 pm »
I went with OEM. 275$ + 10$ for the o ring from PartZilla.

Found this aftermarket one in Amazon, but didn’t inspire confidence judging from the pics, lack of a detailed description and no reviews.

EFI Fuel Pump Kit For Yamaha BOLT 2014-2019 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T4T4Y2B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eb85Eb0HCZPYG