Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Where are all the Mods Going  (Read 4255 times)

Offline asarms87

Where are all the Mods Going
« on: May 29, 2020, 09:15:55 pm »
First I want to acknowledge the pandemic is probably really hard on automotive dealers. If the rest of this post is due to the current pandemic situation I get it and I sympathize, just seems like it has been going on a bit longer.

Has anyone noticed that options for our bike are really drying up out there? SSCC has only a page or two (sometimes nothing) for various categories. Multiple parts out there have been discontinued, many things on my own bike less than 2 years old can't even be purchased anymore. Even something like forward controls which I thought was practically ubiquitous.

Fairings are drying up, Road Warrior discontinued (kind of what started me on this discovery). Gauntlet might not be lasting much longer based on Memphis Shades site not listing it anymore.

Custom Dynamics LED's discontinued, you have to use generic and make it work.

There were 3+ pages of exhaust options on SSCC, down to 1.

Air filters I had bookmarked previously are broken links.

One of the top selling points of this bike is the customization and aftermarket support. If that's drying up it's a shame, and a big point against this bike in future recommendations and sales in my opinion. What do you all think? What have you seen out there? New sites or companies I should be supporting? Is this just temporary? Do dealers have inside information Yamaha is discontinuing this bike or something?

Offline DrM

Re: Where are all the Mods Going
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 09:56:57 pm »
Biggest problem I have with Yamaha-made parts is that they are very high-priced, so I try to look elsewhere first.  The next higher-priced items are those made in America.  You really have to go to Asia mainland to find good prices.  I find a lot of stuff out-of-country, mainly China, just as good, and usually much lower-priced, on eBay, Amazon, and a few offshore outlets. 

Then there is the issue of a small niche market like the Bolt can't really support too many aftermarket vendors.

Offline srinath

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 07:12:04 am »
I hate to admit it, China makes some excellent plastic and electronic parts - other than the killer propaganda videos and absolutely the best viruses.

Metal and rubber parts - I very much prefer American, jap or even European if I can get it. I've had carb O rings that were 20+ yrs old on my other bikes I replaced cos it looked "iffy" with Chinese parts and had it disintegrate in 3 yrs.

Cool.
Srinath.

• Advertisement

Offline bedheadjulian

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 12:31:55 pm »
Supply and demand... dead simple. There was a big buzz about the Bolt the first few years it came out and it was marketed as a modular bike (ie: easy to customize) and for a few years everyone was on the bandwagon. But if parts sit on the shelves too long, no one makes new ones. So now we have to do it like we always did before... buy a grinder, a tap-and-die kit  and some spraypaint and mod parts from other bikes to fit yours. The Ikea days of customizing may have gone away but that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing LOL
You'll like the parts twice as much if you had to chop them yourself. ;)
 My 2¢
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:33:34 pm by bedheadjulian »

Offline shotmybolt

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 04:16:50 pm »
Yup. used / chopped / self-made / finding things to fit from other bikes. All part of the fun!

Offline Sattes

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 11:07:47 am »
I guess soon we'll have to wait for Mikesbolt.com to start up...  If you know you know.  I just got my Bolt a couple of weeks ago.  I have noticed the aftermarket is kinda sparse.  Hell SScustoms doesn't even ship to my state, and it is a real pain in the ass to get an exhaust here in California.  I feel you and I too got my grinder warmed up and a fresh bottle of argon. 

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 11:16:54 pm »
I guess soon we'll have to wait for Mikesbolt.com to start up...  If you know you know.
I think Mike put 3 of his daughters through University thanks to my '79 XS......
NOBODY hates winter more than a Canadian Biker!

Offline Sattes

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 12:48:20 am »
I guess soon we'll have to wait for Mikesbolt.com to start up...  If you know you know.
I think Mike put 3 of his daughters through University thanks to my '79 XS......

She is a beaut!  Me too.  I got all the parts down to the dual disk from kit. 

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 10:53:26 pm »
Thanks!
Except for the carbs, she runs and rides like a dream! 

Helluva change from when I got her. She was an $800 special from my boss when my car crapped out, and I NEEDED wheels to get home to my sick Mom 600 miles away.  He had bought her in boxes as a project, but he'd never worked on a motorcycle before, and had no manual to put it back together. I'm so surprised that she ran, but I actually beat 100 mph with it.  As I was tearing it down to do the restoration, I saw the state of the wiring and some of the other stuff and wondered how come it had never burned down on me!

All she needs now is new carbs!  Looks like Mike is gonna get another $400 out of me.......   :o  And she WILL pass 100 mph again! ;D

Offline dogbrained

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 09:26:08 am »
For a slightly different take on parts availability. I just purchased a 21 H-D Heritage Classic 114, I wanted a Road King but none were available in my area. I'm finding a shortage of aftermarket parts for this bike as well; Heel shifters, luggage racks, wind shield bags etc. these parts are listed but are out of stock. It's the the world we're living in at this time.
Protect Your Boys.

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 09:58:10 pm »
I went to go buy a new riding jacket and even those are in short supply.  The store had lots, but can't get several popular styles in the sizes they need.  Luckily, I found one (the LAST ONE)in my size and a style that I liked.

The stores are saying it's a shortage from the manufacturers and shippers - they just can't get them.

Offline Sattes

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 08:34:41 am »
Thanks!
Except for the carbs, she runs and rides like a dream! 

Helluva change from when I got her. She was an $800 special from my boss when my car crapped out, and I NEEDED wheels to get home to my sick Mom 600 miles away.  He had bought her in boxes as a project, but he'd never worked on a motorcycle before, and had no manual to put it back together. I'm so surprised that she ran, but I actually beat 100 mph with it.  As I was tearing it down to do the restoration, I saw the state of the wiring and some of the other stuff and wondered how come it had never burned down on me!

All she needs now is new carbs!  Looks like Mike is gonna get another $400 out of me.......   :o  And she WILL pass 100 mph again! ;D
Cool man.  I guess there is hope for my 84 yet.  I scored mine back in 2005 for 200 dollars and only a 120 miles on the ticker.  Last registered in 1985.  I rolled her all the way up to 5000 miles then striped her down and put a drop seat Fram on her.  Now she sits in boxes.  Funny thing is I couldn't find any 10 inch shocks for her.  I didn't want long shocks raked out.  Now I have those shocks and they are on my Bolt.  I will use those.  When I can get those black yamaha shocks.  They just aren't in stock anywhere.  I know what you mean about 100mph.  Fun isn't it!

Offline DelawarePete

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 05:13:42 pm »
Greetings everyone.  Haven't posted in a minute.  I'm going to do my best to not piss off any anti-vaxx/mask herd, but here goes.

Many of you know the past 18 mos or so has been incredibly challenging for many industries regarding inventory.  Recreation, boats, rv's, jet skis, motorcycles.....we've felt it pretty hard.  I normally have 250 new units in my showroom.  Right now i have less than 20.  Thats right, i have so much space in my showroom that Kawasaki gave us a Cornhole set for the showroom. The brightside, I have over 130 deposits on incoming units, for whenever they get here.

Parts and Accessories is experiencing the same thing.  EVERYTHING is on back order.  And the shops that we've come to rely on for custom parts have been impacted by the skyrocketing prices and lack of raw materials to make those magnificent parts.  Be patient, check the websites daily, follow those shops on all social media.  You're more likely to see updates there than a website. 

PLEASE TRUST we are trying everything in our power to get everyone what they need.  It's just going to take time. 

With a shortage of 60,000+ truck drivers in the U.S., there is a backlog of over 60 cargo ships at the main ports in California and Georgia.  Containers can't be offloaded to the dock because there is no warehouse room for them, and no warehouse room since there aren't enough truck drivers to deliver what is currently in the warehouse.  It the current state of the world we live in. 

As long as Covid is a global problem, its going to kill people and continue to tear apart small businesses.  We all want things to come back to normal, but i can tell you there is no way that happens unless certain choices are made for the greater good.
Grow a beard

Offline motorcycledressup

• Site Supporting Vendor
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 05:57:05 pm »
We are still providing lots of parts and bringing what we have to the table if anyone is looking for anything. Check out our store.

https://dressup.motorcycles/

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 11:41:51 pm »
Definitely hear you, Pete - I've been off work for 2 years, now..... Yup - Covid slowdown at work.