Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: 2019 Bolt Idle and Koso Meter Questions  (Read 1741 times)

Offline dcdshadow1

Re: 2019 Bolt Idle and Koso Meter Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 11:47:48 pm »
I can feel and hear the idle change, from 1000-900 I can’t really tell but it only does that for a second then it will go a little lower than 900 and I can feel/hear that, then it speeds up and smooths out and back again. Repeats itself, hangs at 1000 or 900, and does the same thing. I’ve got about 900 miles on it. I called the dealership and mentioned my idle and the guy was immediately like “You threw a pipe on didn’t you?” He doesn’t know me so I just said “Yes” to which he replied “That’s the problem, you need a fuel controller or a retune.” Not sure if he had truth or not. I really do not want to harm my engine from lean or bad conditions from this. It’s a brand new bike and under warranty, I know certain mods void warranty for certain things, but I’d hate to do the ECU or something and then there’s a manufacturing issue and it becomes my problem and I need a new engine. I overthink this stuff but I bought this bike to commute and last a good while.

Srinath does your exhaust have a port for your O2 sensor? If not did you unplug it and have any lights come on for you?

- Dave

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 12:52:27 am »
Your video holds the clue. That meter is doing it's best to show an actual 950 RPM but it can't because the needle is driven by a stepper motor. The next step up from 900 RPM is 1000. A near perfect 950 RPM idle is between steps so the 100 RPM fluctuatation you see is perfectly normal and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. An old cable driven or digital tach could hold steady at any RPM.
C-SPƎC

Offline dcdshadow1

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 01:02:07 am »
Lunk, after reading what you said and looking into it, I think you’re definitely on to something. I rewatched my video with a clear head and it does seem to sound right and possibly I was getting in my own head. I will continue to inspect this and have my mechanic buddy listen himself. Also I really thinking synching the cylinders did a lot, thank you for that recommendation! I highly suggest everyone do this and use the cheap sync tool with the hoses and ATF or Oil. Seems to have the best results. I’ll post soon with any updates. Thanks for everyone’s help so far.

- Dave

• Advertisement

Offline srinath

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 09:21:36 am »
Srinath does your exhaust have a port for your O2 sensor? If not did you unplug it and have any lights come on for you?

- Dave

Its a cheapo slip on off ebay - it fits past the O2 sensor.
Cool.
Srinath.

Offline dcdshadow1

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2020, 02:00:30 am »
Hey guys so new update on this,

After riding a few hundred miles and getting a service at the dealer, the bike still seems to be hunting for idle, and I don’t believe I am crazy because I can see/hear it when I pay attention and watch the meter. I tried taking off the exhaust slip on and remounting and clamping it to see if there was a leak, but nothing, the system is very tight. So for the hell of it I unplugged the O2 sensor. Upon doing so, steady idle. The bike runs in “safe mode” when it can’t detect the sensor from my understanding. Therefore it is running at a steady rpm without hunting, I waited a while and plugged the sensor back in and it began hunting again.

I think it’s safe to say I need a fuel controller or a ECU flash at this point if I want it to go away. And from all I’ve heard- Ivan’s is really the only way to go. Does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions before I go this route and try it out? Kinda sucks getting a nice slip on only to realize you need to pay another $350 plus shipping to get a flash. Unless this idle hunting doesn’t hurt the engine (long/short term) then I’d like to take care of it. I was also planning a trip from Los Angeles, CA to the Grand Canyon with a buddy of mine later this year so I want to be solid for that.

Also when I went to the dealer I spoke to the service manager and he said a hunting idle with an aftermarket exhaust is common with these bikes and you need a flash to fix it but otherwise it doesn’t harm the engine. Hope to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.

- Dave

Offline E

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 11:30:49 am »

Lastly, my koso meter is awesome I love it, but since I installed it when I turn the key to the “off” position, a loud mechanical noise comes from the air box/cylinder area almost like the fuel pump. This never happened before. What does this mean?

Thanks you guys hope to hear from everyone!

- Dave
[/quote]
.......i have had KOSO meter on for couple months, the only sound i hear is a "power down-off" gearing, winding down SOUND
i believe the STOCK meter also did this - it lasts for about 2 seconds, every time - TURNING Key to OFF after riding
E - 1st John 4:10