Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Jayok

Is it worth it?
« on: April 28, 2020, 10:37:20 pm »
Hey everyone, I’ve had my bolt c spec for a few years now and it is currently all stock. I have considered doing the typical air intake, slip on, and Ivan’s reflash. I’m really looking to get a little more out of my bike but I’ve seen mixed reviews on whether it really adds much performance increase. For those that have done this was it worth the $1000+ to do. I used the search bar but wasn’t able to find an answer so apologies if I missed it. Thanks for any input.

Offline Haan not solo

Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 10:44:41 pm »
The flash is definitely worth it not for the "sick" horsepower or "hang on for dear life torque" it was perfect cause it makes the ride that much smoother on deceleration and even a good acceleration. Hated that neck whip it gave you when I first rode.

Offline kwlbrown

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 06:42:17 am »
The mods take the bolt from something like 50 hp to 55 hp, so nothing you are going to feel and say "holy cow what a difference". For me it made the bike look, sound, and ride better but not a night a day difference in power, just felt kind of smoother/better. Since you have had the bike for a couple of years and if you plan on keeping it for a couple years more, then I would say yes it is worth it, but I mod everything. You won't get that money back if you sell or trade it in so keep that in mind.
buy the ticket, take the ride
- Dr. Hunter S Thompson

• Advertisement

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 11:39:37 am »
Stock is 49.4 HP and modded it's 61.1 according to the dyno so there's an honest 20% increase. Torque between 1500 and 2500 RPM is up about 10% and from 3000 to 5000 RPM, it continues to rise to a gain of almost 20% over stock which shows a decline between those RPMs. Power band is also broadened and smoothed out.

Keep in mind, not many people here have the newer flash or installed a FC to get those increases so it'll be hard to get a good sample of the feedback you're looking for.
C-SPƎC

Offline Jayok

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 04:48:06 pm »
Thanks guys for your input. I really enjoy this bike. I do wish I had an r spec though. Way more options for customizing. Will be making some decisions here soon

Offline gdepalma

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 11:02:09 pm »
I just installed the Cobra air intake and got Ivan's flash done last week on my 2019 Bolt R-Spec (I already had the Cobra slip-on).  I agree with what kwlbrown posted; noticeable difference but nothing that dramatic.  It's nice that no fuel controller is needed.  It did make the slip-on exhaust louder, presumably from more air being pushed through; not sure if that's a plus or minus for you.  I also notice a smoother throttle but didn't mind the original.  I am not that aggressive of a rider so I'm not pushing top speeds or RPMs (except on that rare occasion) where there would probably be a pretty dramatic difference.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 11:04:28 pm by gdepalma »

Offline srinath

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 09:33:01 am »
Thanks guys for your input. I really enjoy this bike. I do wish I had an r spec though. Way more options for customizing. Will be making some decisions here soon

The Worst part of the C spec is the super short wires and cables. But you can get bushings made to go in the triples - a lot easier than having to knock out the bushings people have had to remove and still need to fab bushings for higher risers etc.
Now C spec has 7/8th bars, so does mine - an SCR.
But the SCR has teh longest wires and hoses. The bushings in the triple for a SCR are different form the R spec ones LOL. You can get delrin bushings to take 1/18th to 7/8th taper bars.
The footpegs of the Rspec are further forward stock and the forward control kits work a lot better on the Rspec.

If you fit the tall risers - mainly meant for Harley - usually they are for 1" bars. That is fine - you can get a spacer sleeve to fit a 7/8th. You also need to get 2 separate risers, not the 1 piece connected top plate ones for a Harley.
A suzuki savage/Boulevard post 2006 or so - have 1" bars and 100 mm spacing like the bolt. That is a 1 unit you can try but make sure you get all the parts before you start to make bushings etc.

C spec is faster - the narrower hole you punch through the air is good for 10mph or so in my observation.

Cool.
Srinath.

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 12:37:04 pm »
Srinath, I wouldn't use 1 1/8" bars. You'll be severely limited in selection. Unless you plan on dropping the bike a lot, just use good old 7/8" clamps.
C-SPƎC

Offline srinath

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 07:12:07 pm »
I got all these lying about - 1 1/8th risers fit the SCR clamps. The triple has R spec bushings and 1" risers with 1/2" bolts going in the suicide direction bottom to up - (like Harleys). I may swap those for allen heads and drill em for wire tying.
The 1 1/8th risers are just gorgeous. The bar selection is another story - never looked much into it.
I also need the 6" height which 1 1/8th don't provide. 1" is better there, as is the spacer sleeve - which I have easy.

Cool.
Srinath.

Offline bedheadjulian

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 04:36:43 am »
Hey everyone, I’ve had my bolt c spec for a few years now and it is currently all stock. I have considered doing the typical air intake, slip on, and Ivan’s reflash. I’m really looking to get a little more out of my bike but I’ve seen mixed reviews on whether it really adds much performance increase. For those that have done this was it worth the $1000+ to do. I used the search bar but wasn’t able to find an answer so apologies if I missed it. Thanks for any input.

If the main reason you're thinking of it is for more power and acceleration I don't think you'll get so much more hp out of the bike that you'll be satisfied. C-specs are rarer than the other models and you might get a decent amount selling it and then spending an extra 1K to buy a used sportbike. Getting a bigger engine under your seat will make a big difference, flashing and upgrading the intake/exhaust will tweak your bike but not turn it into a rocket. Think of it this way: if you're 90% happy with your bike and just want to get smoother throttle and some nicer-looking components on it with a bit more pep out of it, then the upgrades are the way to go. If you're getting bored with the ride and wish you had something that makes your heart race when you twist the throttle, then it might be time to get something faster. Remember, the bike was built and designed around a "cruiser" engine. The cafe racer configuration gives you a sportier look but a purpose-built racer will always be faster than the Bolt.
I'd recommend you test ride a few used sportbikes in your area and then decide. Best way to feel the difference...
My 2¢
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 04:39:23 am by bedheadjulian »

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 12:21:53 pm »
Ivan's first flash only removed restrictions and added ignition advance at full throttle/high rpm but fueling wasn't changed. If you ran an open filter before getting the flash, the only HP increase you'd get would be due to the ignition advance which is good for maybe a couple HP. The open filter will only give good power with the new flash or a FC. A slip-on and timing advance might account for about 4 HP max. A lean running open filter might not be adding anything to that figure so anyone running the old flash probaby isn't getting much benefit from an open filter at full throttle/high rpm. Adding more fuel is necessary if you want to see a bigger difference with an open filter. With no dyno charts showing an open filter running stock AFR, we really don't know if that lean burn is making any more HP than with the rich running stock airbox. Also, any increase at low revs is going to make the top end feel relatively weak and the Bolt already has a lot down low.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:43:23 pm by lunkhead »
C-SPƎC