Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Wiring advice for an amateur  (Read 301 times)

Offline furboll929

Wiring advice for an amateur
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:46:16 pm »
I’m in need some advice. A few years ago I put on the screw on license plates lights with my sound mount bracket. A guy I worked with at the time was nice enough to wire them so that it was the quick connect terminals where I could just plug them in.
http://www.cycleterminal.com/nt040-yamaha.html
He showed me how to do it, but since I didn’t need to I never practiced my crimping skills to be able to do it myself.

I just moved to a new state and now need to put my new plates on. I’m still in contact with him, and he said it’s possible I could push the pin back though the terminal so I can the lights out to get the new plate on, and then put the pins back in the terminal. I tried that and the pin isn’t moving.
So I went out an purchased the crimping tool (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-ratcheting-crimper-tool-86595/5760116-P) and found some Youtube videos and tried on some of the extra terminals that I had left over. Needles to say I’m no good at it. And my soldering skills are even worse, which was the original reason for the quick connect.

Since I’m new to the area, I haven’t made any contacts yet that I could ask to help me out  so the options I can think of are:

• Use posi tap connectors
  • Drill holes in the side mount the length of the OEM light and bolt that on.
Any other ideas you guys can think if for an amateur like myself.

Offline srinath

Re: Wiring advice for an amateur
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 06:05:42 am »
You don't need a crimping tool - what you need is a tiny little needle with a handle of sorts - I typically have dealt with molex more than these but the idea is the same. You would need to look in that connector and see where the prong that keeps it from pulling out is, and stick that needle through the back side of that prong - between the plastic and the prong and push that prong into the inside of the metal terminal. It would let you pull it out, then you push the prong back out before shoving it in the connector. Atleast that's how it works with molex. Good luck, let me know what you find.
Or you could cut it off, get a new set of prongs clipped on and put it in a new terminal - that is where that crimp tool comes in useful.

Cool.
Srinath.