Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Help installing new speedo  (Read 2690 times)

Offline NosidePT

Help installing new speedo
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:15:00 am »
Hi guys. Just discovered this fórum. Already learned a lot.

Ive been searching here for the pasta hour for a analog/digital speedometer instalation.

Ive maybe missed something. I have this new speedo in pictures below. Can anyone point me on how to install this? The wires for lights, Turn signals, etc i think i can find out easy. The main issue is on how to make the rpm counter work.

Any tip?

Thanks

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:22:01 am by NosidePT »

Offline NosidePT

Re: Help installing new speedo
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 09:21:19 am »
Photos

Offline NosidePT

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 09:22:35 am »
Pasta one

• Advertisement

Offline bw03

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 09:50:03 am »
Which speedometer did you get? Looks like quite a bit of wiring.  Not sure how to help.

If you search the forums, there are people who have written up on a tach install.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 10:18:21 am by bw03 »

Offline Dadbolt

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 07:33:01 pm »
Were you able to get this speedo installed and working?

Offline E

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 12:03:18 pm »
SEND IT BACK and buy one designed for BOLT
KOSO
Koso North America BA051300 TNT-B Multi-Function Gauge - Black Bezel OR Silver Bezel - $281 NEW ($365 on KOSO web)
multi color background - an OPTION is to get NEGATIVE NUMBERING - supposedly this is harder to see in Daytime, but the NUMBERS Will be RED as an example, or BLUE - 8 or so colors to choose
THIS Mounts easily - and PLUGS INTO harness from our BOLT (write down your mileage before switching meters - you will have to MANUALLY Program this INFO or MILEAGE TOTAL into the New Meter
E - 1st John 4:10

Offline Dadbolt

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 07:54:55 pm »
At a fraction of the cost of the Koso I am willing to put in extra work.   

Offline Bronxpicman

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 05:45:35 pm »
Hi guys. Just discovered this fórum. Already learned a lot.

Ive been searching here for the pasta hour for a analog/digital speedometer instalation.

Ive maybe missed something. I have this new speedo in pictures below. Can anyone point me on how to install this? The wires for lights, Turn signals, etc i think i can find out easy. The main issue is on how to make the rpm counter work.

Any tip?

Thanks

Well...Anyone though about replacing Your speedo with anything else apart from KOSO?
Have a look at this photos...
YZF R125 speedo connector looks exactly the same...And Honda NC 700(no idea exact model letters) looks the same...
What would You say?

Offline DrM

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 11:00:27 am »
@Bronxpicman
If you try these possible substitutes, let us know how it turned (i.e., did everything function as it should?)

Offline Bronxpicman

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 04:20:54 pm »
@Bronxpicman
If you try these possible substitutes, let us know how it turned (i.e., did everything function as it should?)
Hi there. I don't have an access to the any other speedo apart from Bolt stock and Koso speedo.That's why I ask here.Perhaps someone here know someone  or work in the bike shop/scrap yard.
Pictures taken from Ebay as I accidentally spot the speedo with the same connector as Bolt have.

Offline DrM

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 09:14:52 pm »
@Bronxpicman
Hi there. I don't have an access to the any other speedo apart from Bolt stock and Koso speedo.That's why I ask here.Perhaps someone here know someone  or work in the bike shop/scrap yard.
Pictures taken from Ebay as I accidentally spot the speedo with the same connector as Bolt have.
If I was going to do it (and I don't plan on it) I would be looking at the wiring diagram for my bike (see attached), and comparing it against the wiring diagram (if any) for the meter I was considering.  If it was from another Yamaha model, I'd get a copy of that service manual and compare its wiring diagram to mine.  Then If I am satisfied, I'd start looking which wires I wanted to match up and connect to, and just where on the bike to connect them.  If you go forth on this, good luck - it would make one hell of good winter project.

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 09:23:35 pm »
Bronx - one of our original members years ago - posted all the info about all the connectors in the Technical Library... They SHOULD still be there. 

I do know that some of the stuff won't be compatible with other bikes because of their design - like the fuel light on ours wouldn't be compatible with a fuel gauge from another bike, and you'd have to completely change out the fuel level sender to make it work.  Stuff like that.   LOTS of details.
NOBODY hates winter more than a Canadian Biker!

Offline DrM

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 09:27:37 pm »
Bolt Wiring Diagram found in back of Shop Manual: