Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Anybody uses throttle lock devices?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Dreamert

Anybody uses throttle lock devices?
« on: May 25, 2018, 10:40:16 am »
I'm looking at either the Kaoko or the Atlas.

I have Oxford heated grips so I guess the Kaoko could do the trick. Nicer looking, less intrusive but dies with the bike while the Atlas can be reused on a diffrent bike later down the road.

Any experiences with any of these two or any other device for that matter?

Offline A.T.

Re: Anybody uses throttle lock devices?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:07:57 pm »
Go to the hardware store and get a rubber o-ring (maybe 1/1/2").   When you want cruise, roll it between the grip switch housing - works like a champ and costs about $1.00

Offline brizzle

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 06:16:54 pm »
I got the go cruise throttle lock. It can be had for 15$ on sale. Looked nice and works well. Plus you can switch it from bike to bike

http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/go-cruise-throttle-control-device-for-1-bars?gloc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwo87YBRBgEiwAI1LkqeD62gLXS4DucTkXNKF3ZBVtnIvJhpWaovkUG7ezQ3ubHYSAhyC5kxoCn_sQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Advertisement

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 03:47:46 am »
I've got the Kuryakyn setup - in black plastic  (I HATE Chrome).  It's not a top-end unit, but for $35, it's been doing the job for almost 5 years, now and I haven't got a complaint about it.

It's simple (just a clamp that goes around your throttle and a bracket to steady it on the bar), adjustable, and reliable. I did have to make a little extender to make it fit properly, but that was easy.

With Carpal Tunnel, I almost rely on it when I'm on longer rides.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/3784/premier-affordable-cruise-assist
NOBODY hates winter more than a Canadian Biker!

Offline ChrisMitch

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 12:44:42 pm »
I've got the Kuryakyn setup - in black plastic  (I HATE Chrome). 

+1 for the kuryakyn
I also had to modify one of the rubber collars to make it fit on stock bolt grips.  but it was as simple as using a straight blade to shave down the middle sized collar enough to fit.   It's a little more work on the installation (though not much - maybe 20 minutes total) than something like the go cruise.  But I like the look a lot better and that I can control it with my thumb and not change my hand position at all.  I have small hands and the operation of the go cruise (using index finger) was awkward for me.  If you do decide to go with go cruise, consider the 2nd gen model in aluminum. Have a friend who got about 3 months out of his plastic one before it broke.

Offline Crow Instability

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:40:25 pm »
Another +1 for the Kuryakyn.

Same as Norm: got it in black, not a fan of chrome. I, too, have carpal tunnel, so the large pad of the Throttle Boss is absolutely invaluable on longer rides. I'm planning to ride my bike all the way down to Texas in October for a move, and I can tell already that I would not be able to do it without the Throttle Boss on. Had it affixed the same time I had the grips swapped out for the Kuryakyn ISO Metric Grips, and the difference in added comfort is great.

As for the seat, the other seat to consider besides the Saddleman is a Corbin. The styling and how they hold you in the seat could not be more different, though, so if the styling and seating position of the Saddleman speaks to you, nothing else really slots you in there the way the Saddleman does. I know at least one other user here has one. Many other users [myself included] have a Corbin, and I love it. One of the first mods I made after 1,000 miles, and the first comfort mod I made.
I am not much more than a beast that has been taught to dance by blows and a few meager morsels.

Offline Dreamert

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 02:31:17 pm »
Well I opted to try out the Atlas, on the expensive side but can easily be reused on the next bike and well, I like the look better than any bulky clamps.

We'll see how it fares!

Offline Crow Instability

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 03:03:04 pm »
The Atlas is a full-on lock rather than a paddle, so they'd operate differently anyway; let us know how it works! It would be handy for switching arms when one gets tired, that's for sure.
I am not much more than a beast that has been taught to dance by blows and a few meager morsels.

Offline Dreamert

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:43:16 am »
So far it ain't that wonderful as the gap between the handle and the controls block it too tight to have it work properly.  It rubs permanently so it kinda locks the throttle in place at any point whether I set it to or not.

I need to figure out how to widen that gap a bit to free the device from rubbing at all times.

How would I pull the handle away from the block like 1/8'' ?

Offline rexposeidon

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 05:38:30 pm »
I had the Kuryakyn but couldn't get it to work on my Bolt, standard grips on aftermarket handlebars. 

I don't like the idea of the Go Cruise, like a paddle too easy to cause an accident.

I looked at the Atlas online but not sure if that idea works either since you commented that it rubs too much.

You could always move the switch housing over but then you'd lose the hole for the switch housing to fit into, but tight enough if you crank down the bolts your/ switch housing shouldn't shift.
Live to Ride, Ride to Live.

Offline DrM

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 07:39:41 am »
I use the old aftermarket NEP throttle-lock I had on my old Honda.  Had to modify it to fit the larger Bolt throttle tube, and skinny-it up some.  Later had to add a thrust washer (30mm i.d., 40mm o.d.) to contain it when I changed hand grips.  Works great.