Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: File speedometer complaint  (Read 43783 times)

Offline cvvmax

Re: File speedometer complaint
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 07:10:18 pm »
I'd prefer an oldschool analog speedometer. I have had many issues with the screen, especially on slightly overcast days, or if I am wearing sunglasses.

Side Note:  I'm happy for people that don't have an issue, but piping up to say "that didn't happen to me at all" when people are looking for, "here's what I did to fix it" is annoying; if it didnt happen to you, how could you possibly be furthering a discussion aimed at fixing it?

Maybe your input would be better suited to a poll.........
-Kyle

Kyle,
Like this?...

https://www.yamahastarbolt.com/general-yamaha-star-bolt-discussion/gauge-lcd-speedo-etc/msg16032/#msg16032

Art

Offline KGCOttawa

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 11:14:58 am »
I'd prefer an oldschool analog speedometer. I have had many issues with the screen, especially on slightly overcast days, or if I am wearing sunglasses.

Side Note:  I'm happy for people that don't have an issue, but piping up to say "that didn't happen to me at all" when people are looking for, "here's what I did to fix it" is annoying; if it didnt happen to you, how could you possibly be furthering a discussion aimed at fixing it?

Maybe your input would be better suited to a poll.........
-Kyle

Kyle,
Like this?...

https://www.yamahastarbolt.com/general-yamaha-star-bolt-discussion/gauge-lcd-speedo-etc/msg16032/#msg16032

Art

Thanks for the link, Art. I'm reading through it now.
Kyle
Omnia Vincit Amor

Offline kraven

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 02:53:44 pm »
Lots of options for an old school speedo with a needle out there.
You can also wire the idiot lights to a panel and not lose any functional parts of the stock gauge.

Thankfully, motorcycling is full of people who aren't happy with a perfectly good speedo/gauge and there are tons of options. Making an adapter harness isn't that hard with a little homework and effort.
Moderator: G+ Unoffical Star Bolt page

• Advertisement

Offline cvvmax

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 03:18:05 pm »
Lots of options for an old school speedo with a needle out there.
You can also wire the idiot lights to a panel and not lose any functional parts of the stock gauge.

Thankfully, motorcycling is full of people who aren't happy with a perfectly good speedo/gauge and there are tons of options. Making an adapter harness isn't that hard with a little homework and effort.

Don't take this the wrong way, but there are NOT a lot of options out there for replacing the Meter with an Analog Meter...

A Digital Meter, there are a few option, two of which, have already been posted as being compatible with the Bolt's Electronics, one my me and another by another member, can't remember who it was...

Now, I have looked at several analog meters and one will work and I have already posted about that one along with the Digital Meter in the same thread...

I have also looked at other analog meters for other models of bikes, starting with Yamaha brand meters and analyzed them for feasibility and all of them, for one reason or another are NOT compatible and will not work on the Bolt...

The way that the K-Line and/or the interface line between the ECU and the Meter is done on the Bolt, is not totally unique but it is unique because of the way that the Select and Reset buttons are not connected to the Meter rather than to the ECU and that along causes problems in trying to use other meters, mainly Yamaha brand meters...

I think at this point, the only way to go, if, the Motogadget Classic (Analog) is not in a member's desires because of the cost or looks or whatever, is to completely redesign the wiring concept and use the OEM installed sensor and wire them into a suitable analog meter, along with using the OEM Select/Reset switches for that new meter and/or other needs...

But, IMO, that is not the way to go...first of all, it would take a lot of rewiring and I am not talking about play-and-play here...I am talking cutting, splicing, soldering, etc unless all of the needed couplers are found and acquired...in addition to having to pay the cost for the Meter, which is going to run at least $200 or so...

So again, IMO, it would be better to just pay the $1000 and install the Motogadget Classic and be done with it...even with it, again there will be cutting, splicing, soldering, etc. involved unless if all the couplers can be found...

Some vendor MAY decide to take this idea to product and provide a Analog solution that is plug and play but I think the R&D and pre-build costs on top of the desired profit margin, would make such a mod...about the same cost, if not more than the Motogadget...until quantities could be sold to bring prices down...

If you find anything that looks promising, do post and we can discuss it...to see if it would work...

Art

Offline kraven

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 03:45:19 pm »
Art, I never take you the wrong way. I always appreciate your knowledge.

To me, the simplest fix is to add an aftermarket gauge that uses the impulse from the bolt, and split the signal from the plug into the stock gauge. That way the functionality remains. You can mount the speedo on the bar and wire a short length of adapter between the plug and body of the speedo to have an offshoot of the speedo impulse to the aftermarket one.

Since the trip  meter and odo functions are standalone on the aftermarket gauge, you don't need to wire an interference of factory function. If there's a difference between the gauge's input demand and the output of the Yama-cable, that's easily overcome, up or down, with a simple piece of hardware.

This would leave the stock gauge in place, full function of ECU interface, and a mounted aftermarket gauge with no stock wiring harness hacking, aside from a short adapter installed. This gives you access to all those gauges out there meant to work with a hall effect sensor.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:46:58 pm by kraven »

Offline cvvmax

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 03:59:32 pm »
That I would agree with...by getting an Analog gauge being fed by its own speed sensor/magnets and of course +12VDC/GND...

And paralleling some of the LED functions over to it is no biggie...then take the OEM Meter and put it inside of the left side cover where the tool box use to be...and mount the new meter near the handlebars...

I personally wouldn't like the OEM and new Analog meters both up there, that would IMO look bad, like in not good...

So, let me know what models you find that are good looking and may be usable for the Bolt...

Art

Offline kraven

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 04:34:12 pm »
I like that idea of moving it into the left cover.

I'll let you know what I've when I get a minute. thx.

Offline cvvmax

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 06:04:04 pm »
I like that idea of moving it into the left cover.

I'll let you know what I've when I get a minute. thx.

Looking forward to anything you have...

Art

Offline kraven

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 07:16:09 pm »
I was looking at this one from Thunderheart. It's available in a bar mount and a top clamp mount via j and p cycles and others.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/570-078

Here's the support doc for it: http://www.thunder-heart.com/Tech%20Service%20PDFs/EI4300.pdf
Looks like it takes an rgb plug to make it go with the green wire being the one for the pulse. It's able to be used in a pulse mode, has auto calibration, etc. Can't find info on if it requires their sender or not. Can't imagine that is a major problem.

There's also a rear wheel vicious drive speedo kit available, if someone wanted a cheap fix in the form of a driven speedo. They could stow the stock gauge and run a cable drive unit, and that would leave a lot of options to run vintage speedos from lots of cool old bikes, or a cheap motionpro speedo for <$100.
I'm into the whole vintage thing, so that might be an option for me. Like an old Vincent Black Shadow speedo or something. You know, without dorking up the front wheel.

Offline cvvmax

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 09:24:16 pm »
The Thunderheart would work with an external speed sensor...it MAY work with the OEM sensor but would need to be tested...

The problem with that unit is the mounting...on the handlebar wouldn't work but if adapted correctly, could mount onto the riser mount...

Those other cheaper rear wheel drive speedos would work if a drive unit could be found...

Thanks for the input...

Art

Offline kraven

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:28 pm »
The rear wheel speedo drives come in a kit.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5600140#!
So, 70 bucks for a kit and you could use a sidewinder mount and have it at a knee or in front of the breather to clean up the bar and top clamp. Then you get access to all the neato HD aftermarket speedos out there and keep the front wheel clean (and know your speed while you wheelie).
Probably 150 would be a cheap way out.

Of course the real bargain fix I guess is still GPS mounted on the bar.  But it's interesting to explore the options.

Offline wench

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 03:49:56 am »
I called Yamaha directly today and asked about the speedo problem and if they were working on a fix. They stated they had received a few complaints but the speedo was made to look like no other Yamaha and they are not working on a fix at this time because there has not been enough complaints made. They asked if I would like to file a complaint so it would be on record and add to the reports already made so I did. They were very nice about it and linked the complaint to my bike right over the phone. Just thought I would share what Yamaha is saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline cvvmax

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 07:17:18 am »
I called Yamaha directly today and asked about the speedo problem and if they were working on a fix. They stated they had received a few complaints but the speedo was made to look like no other Yamaha and they are not working on a fix at this time because there has not been enough complaints made. They asked if I would like to file a complaint so it would be on record and add to the reports already made so I did. They were very nice about it and linked the complaint to my bike right over the phone. Just thought I would share what Yamaha is saying.

I called Yamaha in Cypress also...the day after I bought the bike and filed a complaint with them...and the rep told me to take the bike back to the dealer's service department and have them do a "Warranty Service Report", which the dealer sends in to Yamaha Cypress, which in turn gets put in to their system and gets connected to my complaint that I made directly to Yamaha..the rep said that, that reinforces the complaint...

Art

Offline wench

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 09:03:50 am »
Awesome Art. maybe one day they will fix the darn thing. I wish I could just pull mine apart like you did but me and hubby are REALLY not mechanically inclined at all and I would end up having to spend the $500-$1000 on a new speedo that I don't have.

Offline cvvmax

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 10:43:21 am »
Awesome Art. maybe one day they will fix the darn thing. I wish I could just pull mine apart like you did but me and hubby are REALLY not mechanically inclined at all and I would end up having to spend the $500-$1000 on a new speedo that I don't have.

Well, as I mentioned in my original post where I cut out the 5mm thick smokey plexiglass from above the LCD and replaced with clear 3mm plexiglass...I would not recommend this mod to anyone as there are too many things that can go wrong...

The job isn't that hard in itself but it helps to understand how these meters are assembled to start with, so that you know where to pry, cut, grind, etc, etc...

First thing one needs to do is...take US$256.47 + US$21.50 cash aside...just in case, it doesn't quite work out...that's a Partshark price for a new OEM Meter...

Once done of course, any factory warranties as far as the Meter goes...is out the window...

I doubt Yamaha will do anything on this as they are still building them with the same meter...Yamaha just from past history over the last 20-30 years, very seldom, make any big chances to existing models...there are a few exceptions but most of those were because of safety related issues...which, in the minds of some, this meter could fall into that category...but with 12-13 complaints...that's a small minority...

Art