Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: File speedometer complaint  (Read 43785 times)

Offline josh

Re: File speedometer complaint
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2016, 09:44:00 pm »
I'd prefer an oldschool analog speedometer. I have had many issues with the screen, especially on slightly overcast days, or if I am wearing sunglasses.

Side Note:  I'm happy for people that don't have an issue, but piping up to say "that didn't happen to me at all" when people are looking for, "here's what I did to fix it" is annoying; if it didnt happen to you, how could you possibly be furthering a discussion aimed at fixing it?

Maybe your input would be better suited to a poll.........
-Kyle

I've never had a problem with mine, Until yesterday and a state patrol was behind me. Wished it worked so bad right then. 

Offline Tom G

« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2016, 06:19:47 pm »
Hey Josh,  I agree with everything you said.  Some folks just like to be "heard" so they say much of nothing knowing they have an audience.  Creeps, Yes?

I have the same speedometer problem as you and other Bolt owners, and I filed a report with the National Highway Safety Administration, and also with Yamaha via my dealer.

All a waste of time. 

So, I bought a cheap Garmin GPS at "China-Mart" for about $90.00, to use strictly as a speedometer,  plus RAM brackets from GPS city for $30 or $40 bucks.  Works O.K., and keeps me from getting speeding tickets.
Reality is Irrelevant; It’s Perception that Matters.

Offline chrisknight

« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2016, 06:52:37 pm »
I filed a complaint directly with Yamaha about this.

• Advertisement

Offline Tom G

« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2016, 11:37:50 am »
And, What good did it do? I actually telephone the Yamaha Customer Service department several months ago, and the "Doofus" who answer said he never heard of the problem.

So,  did you receive any feed back from Yamaha? 

Thanks,

Tom G >:(
Reality is Irrelevant; It’s Perception that Matters.

Offline tahenke

« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2016, 07:16:36 pm »
The only thing I dislike about my Bolt and it looks like Yammy is turning their head to it. Sucks  :(

Offline Jonesin

« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2016, 11:50:31 pm »
Yeah, I was cursing about this on a four hour ride my first day with the Bolt. At least I know what makes me drink.
Ed
2014 Bolt.

October 9th, 2016 the sky fell. Already I'm in deep withdrawal. I don't know if I'm going to make it.

Offline chrisknight

« Reply #156 on: January 01, 2017, 02:21:22 pm »
Yamaha played dumb when I called and I still have heard nothing.  I have also filed a complaint with NHTSA.  I may be looking at buying a 2015 meter.  Sigh.

If anyone is having this trouble please file a complaint.  I thought enough people had filed so I wouldn't need to.  We need to stand in numbers.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=f7yyVJ8QFnqtvpqBMpJlTTJcQ5PQ1y2hMmTjTssT1npTpgpx04Gk!-358755916?prodType=V&searchType=PROD&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=BOLT&stats=1882292%2C1%2C0%2C60%2C0%2CBOLT&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.model_yr=2014&searchCriteria.make=YAMAHA&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1882292

Offline Shane45_1911

« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2017, 02:43:43 pm »
You're wasting your time.
Yamaha only made a few thousand 2014 Bolts.  Then they corrected the speedo on the 2015 models.  Case closed.
If this was an ongoing issue, you might have a leg to stand on. 
In the grand scheme of things, there might be a couple hundred 2014 owners that are upset enough to do - or say - something about this issue.  And a couple hundred voices is but a cricket chirp to a big company like Yamaha.
Suck it up.
"Do, or do not - there is no 'try'."
Yoda

Offline G8T0R

« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2017, 08:16:27 pm »
Place an anti-glare cover over your speedometer. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4SA1FG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used one for my iPad and one to create a cover, 3 inches wide, with plenty of area in case i messed up and needed to create another.  For $7, can't beat it.

It isn't perfect but it does the job.

Beats calling and waiting.

Offline 7udro

« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2017, 06:18:37 am »
shut off the sun  ;D

Offline G8T0R

« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2017, 10:51:05 am »
That's my next course of action with the help of Mr. Burns!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyjJbhuwGkU

So far it has worked quite well.  Visibility has improved greatly!

Offline cas2047

« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2017, 10:22:13 am »
LOL - love the video!

The lack of speedometer visibility still bothers me.  I guess just not enough to make me do anything about it yet... I do wonder though why that terrible design flaw got past whatever quality control measures were in place through design/production.

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2017, 07:09:16 pm »
Nothing you can do to the old speedo will help it - except what Art did - he tore it apart and took out the smoked glass inside. and he did NOT recommend anyone else do it - it's a nasty finicky job, apparently.  Luckily, Yamaha figured out the same thing and got rid of the glass for the next year.  Unfortunately, they didn't do anything for those of us with the original speedos.

Knowing some anatomy - here's the problem.....  Your eye only has a certain range of contrast that it can handle - and when the sun is bright, your irises close down and lessens the amount of light actually hitting the retina, so you don't burn it out. Of course, that means that the contrast at the darker end of what you can see (like the contrast between the lighter grey and black of the speedo) goes WAY down, and all you can see is a black circle.  When the sun is a bit dimmer, or when it's behind you - your irises open up, and the contrast increases to a visible level.  Of course, you don't really NOTICE that your irises are closing, since it looks like there's the same amount of light hitting your retinas - but that's the AVERAGE amount of light - not pinpoint values like the stupid black circle on your gas tank....  Removing that smoked glass increased the contrast enough to solve the problem - unfortunately, it's not a retrofix - you have to replace the thing with a newer one.

And that is why I prefer a needle and dial....... a nice orange needle is ALWAYS visible!  I can't wait till someone invents one!
NOBODY hates winter more than a Canadian Biker!

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2017, 03:43:45 pm »
I have a 2015 C-Spec and it doesn't seem to be a problem determining my speed with a quick glance. The big analog speedo on my Silverado is just as easy to read but I have to look down at the tank to read it. You might find that with a clearer readout and higher mounting, a dial isn't much better.

With a tachometer, there's a definite advantage having the visual clues from a bright sweeping pointer moving towards a red area to let you know when to shift. Showing just a number would be next to useless.
C-SPƎC

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2017, 09:38:20 pm »
Didn't really think about it but you guys with speedos measuring km have the digits changing almost twice as fast. I can see that being a problem when accelerating.
C-SPƎC