Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: File speedometer complaint  (Read 43786 times)

Offline DelawarePete

Re: File speedometer complaint
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2015, 12:27:13 pm »
I installed the speedo relo bracket on my handlebars, and have repositioned the angle several times while riding.  Basically, the 2014 meter is virtually impossible to read unless the sun is shining behind you, or at night when the backlight is strong enough to shine through.  The 2014 meter is garbage. 

Be aware that if you do purchase the 2015 meter, the mileage on the bike will be incorrect.
Grow a beard

Offline bedheadjulian

« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2015, 02:33:03 am »
I have the first generation Bolt (2014 model, manufactured in july 2013) and it came with the new speedo ( the one that is easily readable). The dealership did not replace it... It was on from the factory. That means that Yamaha produced a different speedo for Netherlands and the US from the very beginning. This may have to do with much stricter Dutch regulations (ABS is now mandatory on all new bikes here) but this fact may also be useful in the argument that Yamaha was aware of readability issues since 2013. Otherwise there would have been no need for a different model here.
Hope you guys get some resolution soon.

Offline jkrider

« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2015, 12:21:23 pm »
I installed the speedo relo bracket on my handlebars, and have repositioned the angle several times while riding.  Basically, the 2014 meter is virtually impossible to read unless the sun is shining behind you, or at night when the backlight is strong enough to shine through.  The 2014 meter is garbage. 

Be aware that if you do purchase the 2015 meter, the mileage on the bike will be incorrect.

This is true. Replacing the meter sets your mileage back to zero. I made sure to take pictures of the old speedo with the mileage before I changed it out.

• Advertisement

Offline socal1200r

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2015, 08:03:01 am »
I ended up just swapping out my 2014 speedo for the 2015 model at the end of last year. I haven't had any problems with the 2015 model. I'm not holding my breath that there will ever be a recall, but I'm holding onto my receipt just in case.

What is the difference between the 2014 speedo and a 2015 one, is it just the tinted versus clear glass?  I'll have to look at mine next time I'm out, and see.  Even though mine is a 2014 R-spec, looks like some 2014 models ended up with the 2015 style speedos?  Mine works fine for what few miles I've clocked so far, in direct and indirect sunlight and clouds.  Still bugs me it doesn't have an rpm function though...
Robert Brooks
2014 Bolt R-spec
2004 Aprilia RSV Factory
1984 Honda Ascot VT500
1979 Honda CB650

Offline Zegeli

« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2015, 08:38:58 pm »
They fixed this in 2015 Models, never had a problem with mine, sunny, cloudy, dark, rainy just works perfect.

Offline jimboy3625

« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2015, 08:15:33 am »
I finally filed an official complaint for whatever they are worth. My issue seems to be different than most here actually, I have a hard time seeing the speed readout in anything other than very bright sunny days or night. Any days that are not sunny (which we have a lot of in Michigan) I can barely read the speed because the numbers just blend into the background, there is no contrast. In the bright daylight they stand out and at night with the back light they stand out but that's it.
2014 Bolt R-Spec Green

Offline kadir2007

« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2015, 04:16:51 pm »
I filled it out too for what its worth. As far as swapping it out for the 2015 Speedo, can this be done easily? I wasn't sure if the mileage is stored on the speedo itself or if it sits on the motorcycle. I really can't see anything during the day when I ride.
WANTED
---------------
Corbin Seat + Oval Back Rest
Slip On Exhaust
Some kind of storage for the bike? I'll take suggestions
2014 Bolt R-Spec Grey

Offline discusted

« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2015, 08:24:43 pm »
I'm looking for a black faced analog speedometer I like that uses an Hall Effect sensor.  I don't think any of the old style cable drives will adapt to the Bolt's front or rear wheel easily.
I'll relocate the original speedometer on the side, under the tank, or behind the horn out of the way, covered somehow, and run second turn signal, neutral, and high beam indicators on the new Speedo.
That way I'll have the old one hooked up with correct mileage and code reader still hooked up plus a real needle indicating speedometer in front of me.
Correct mileage will be maintained, engine codes can be checked, piece of crap will be out of my face until I return it to OEM configuration to sell it.

Offline Brewski

« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2015, 10:47:35 am »
I have the first generation Bolt (2014 model, manufactured in july 2013) and it came with the new speedo ( the one that is easily readable). The dealership did not replace it... It was on from the factory. That means that Yamaha produced a different speedo for Netherlands and the US from the very beginning. This may have to do with much stricter Dutch regulations (ABS is now mandatory on all new bikes here) but this fact may also be useful in the argument that Yamaha was aware of readability issues since 2013. Otherwise there would have been no need for a different model here.
Hope you guys get some resolution soon.

Can you post a picture of the new vs old speedo? I was not even aware that there were two different ones.
Bolt R-Spec 2014 (Last Bike)
V-Star 1300 2005 (Third Bike)
Virago 750 1997 (Second Bike)
Honda Rebel 2005 (First Bike)

Offline DelawarePete

« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2015, 10:56:55 am »
Brewski,  If you click on my profile and look at all of my images, you'll see a pic showing them side by side.

Another member and I had someone from NHTSA visit us and photograph the speedos.  During my visit, I pull a 2015 Bolt so he could see the difference. 

Still waiting to hear if anything is going to be done. 
Grow a beard

Offline Brewski

« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2015, 11:13:50 am »
Brewski,  If you click on my profile and look at all of my images, you'll see a pic showing them side by side.

Another member and I had someone from NHTSA visit us and photograph the speedos.  During my visit, I pull a 2015 Bolt so he could see the difference. 

Still waiting to hear if anything is going to be done.

Awesome, I can see the difference now in the black bike vs the white bike. (Do you work at a dealership BTW?) I like the look of the darker speedo better but if it sacrifices functionality then what is the point, right?

There is a speedo relocator kit from Low & Mean that moves it higher on the triple tree, angles it better to face the rider and puts it more in the view of the rider instead of just being in the peripheral and actually moving your eyes and head down to see it. It works with the mini fairing so I'm thinking about putting it on mine.

http://lowandmean.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypagelm.tpl&category_id=179&product_id=460&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=60
Bolt R-Spec 2014 (Last Bike)
V-Star 1300 2005 (Third Bike)
Virago 750 1997 (Second Bike)
Honda Rebel 2005 (First Bike)

Offline DelawarePete

« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2015, 12:19:48 pm »
I used the one SS Custom Cycle offered, but modified my bracket in several ways to clean up the look.
Grow a beard

Offline jbg123

« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2015, 01:02:50 pm »
Damn how high are your bars Pete?  I'd like to see an old vs. new so I know the difference when I go to buy.  Post up your good and bad shots everyone!
Shiny side up~

Offline 1hip

« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2016, 05:14:41 am »
I like the look of the speedo but it is still dark on the 2015 models. Readable but dark. It would be cool if they made it easier to see and incorporated a speedo and tachometer all in one to give it that clean and simple look that it already has.

Offline Bolt On

« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2016, 03:19:29 am »
I like the look of the speedo but it is still dark on the 2015 models. Readable but dark. It would be cool if they made it easier to see and incorporated a speedo and tachometer all in one to give it that clean and simple look that it already has.

That's it 1hip, that's what I want! I'd really like to see the digital speedo redone with non-reflective glass or perspex and the additiion of a LED tacho worm around the circumference going from blue light to orange to red. I reckon that would not only be convenient, but also fully sick!
If your Dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two Mums.