Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Synchronizing Fuel Injection  (Read 80732 times)

Online ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
Synchronizing Fuel Injection
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:31:18 am »
OK - this is confusing a lot of people - The Owner's manual states that we are supposed to check the Fuel Injection Synchronizing at the 1000 km/600 mile mark - and

For anyone who hasn't been following - this is a follow on from this thread....https://www.yamahastarbolt.com/mods-and-accessories/what-did-you-do-to-your-bolt-today/60/

This is similar to balancing multiple carbs, which ensures that each cylinder is working the same amount. This helps the engine run smoother and work more efficiently.  On a multiple carb setup (like my old XS650 or XJ1100), there is an adjustment screw between each pair of carbs, allowing you to adjust the throttles independently, to a small extent (a tiny adjustment is all that's needed).  But as Pirate has mentioned, this is a single throttle body....

Almost....

Here's a pic  of the throttle body.....

As you can see - it's set up like a 2-barrel carb - 2 separate throttle plates on a single shaft (with the cables at the front end and the Sensor at the back). You can also see that the throttle plates are tightly sealed, unlike a carburetor would be. Carbs let air leak past the throttle plates at a small rate to set the idle. Adjusting this gap sets the idle speed and adjusts the balance if you adjust the plates differently.

EFI does it differently - it seals the throttle plates tightly closed and has a small port that the computer can open and close to control idle speed - that's how it can set fast idle when it needs to warm up the engine without having to move the throttle plates.  The 2 small holes below the throttles are the idle ports. 

Soooooo - now that we have an idea WHAT the parts are, what they do, and how.....  The question is .... How do we check and adjust it?

The method to adjust them is on the sides of the Throttle Body...... One on the Right and one on the Left

There's one screw on each side, one for each cylinder. 

How to CHECK the balance, however is pretty simple.....

As I'd said in the other thread, the best way to check the synch is probably the cheapest - the $1.55 carb balancer tool found here http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp.  Basically, it's just a long piece of clear plastic tubing with a little red transmission fluid in it (maybe a tablespoon or two depending on the size of tubing).  Connect one end to each of the vacuum ports on the throttle body, and find something high to toss it over and let it hang. I just toss it over the rafters of my garage (with the door open, of course - Carbon monoxide is DEADLY), with a weight at the center so it hangs down.  You only want a couple feet of the tubing to have fluid in it - don't fill it up - you want to see the levels moving.  Vacuum ports?  Check on the top of the Throttle Body.....

Right on top where they're easy to get to.  The vacuum hose from the rear leads up under the tank.  It's the vacuum that holds the fuel valve open, so you'll have to TEE into it or your engine will die with no fuel.

Anyway.... install a T - and take the cover off the forward vacuum barb (DON'T LOSE IT!), and connect the plastic tubing to the ports. Which one goes where isn't important, but a good seal is.  I'm not sure what size the barbs are, but that would be a good way to get your tubing - to match the ports.  Try to keep the tubing as far away from the cylinders as possible - we don't want them to melt and make a nasty mess all over your new bike!

Here's kind of how it looks -

He's got the tubing with the trans fluid in it where he can see it - with the tubing going high and down to his carbs - in our case - down to the throttle bodies. 

Then all you have to do is Start the engine!  VOILA!  ;D
If the fluid moves to one side, and keeps going - you'll need to synch the system. If it stays reasonably steady - you're good to go!   ;D In any case - it shouldn't be too bad, since they are pretty new from the factory.
In the pic above - check how close the levels in the tube are - then check the tach (on the right) - his bike is running at 1250 rpm, and the levels are dead even!  PERFECT synch!

The setup is SUPER Sensitive (MUCH more sensitive than ANY gauge setup could ever hope), so there is a chance it could suck the trans fluid into your engine before you an shut it down (but only if it's REALLY out to lunch).  DON'T PANIC!  It may smoke out your garage and make a big stink, but it WON'T do any damage to your bike. That's why we use Transmission oil - it's easy to see in the tube, but it's just oil, and will burn out with no damage.

A TINY adjustment is all it should need to bring the system back into balance, and your bike running top-notch again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 07:49:03 pm by ShakerNorm »

NOBODY hates winter more than a Canadian Biker!

Offline Mr Monte

Re: Synchronizing Fuel Injection
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:33:02 am »
Nice write up. The pics really help.  So far I haven't had to sync any of my fuel injected bikes but the multi carbed bikes & cars I've had in the passed are a another story.

Online ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:39:54 am »
I talked to the mech at my dealer today, and he got a laugh out of the $1.55 Carb Balancer - said he uses the same setup at home on his bikes - and confirmed that it's better than just about anything you can buy. 

Unfortunately, he wouldn't confirm or deny whether the screws on the side of the throttle body are the adjustment screws or not (DAMN....LOL). 

• Advertisement

Offline kraven

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 06:18:47 pm »
Norm, pull up the fiche for the 950 and you'll see that those are, indeed, the air screws for the idle.
Moderator: G+ Unoffical Star Bolt page

Online ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 08:45:55 pm »
Kraven:
Did you find the fiche for the service manual, or just the parts list?  I haven't had much time to look for service manuals, although I'd love to get one, and it would clarify SO much.....

Looking at the parts list - it does call them "air screw set", which means you're probably right - the idle adjustment screws.

I also see that the vacuum line from the rear intake leads to a pressure sensor - probably for the computer, which means if you disconnect it, the engine probably won't run - or at least it won't run properly. You WILL have to rig up a "T" to get the vacuum from the rear cylinder.

Offline kraven

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 01:40:12 am »
Yes, sir. If you want to hook up a gauge and do it properly, I expect you'd need to make a T in the one with the MAP sensor.

However, there may be a process in the manual that details an easier way. You might try to get your hands on the manual, since you're such a tech savvy guy. There may be a shortcut, like with some of the other twins out there.

Online ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 03:00:52 am »
Been looking a little - but not much time to really dig - I'm wondering if the manual for the other 950 engines would show something similar......

Offline kraven

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 02:32:56 pm »
It should. I looked at the fiche for the various 950 models and they all show the same parts. Processes should be the same.

Since the butterflies are on the same throttle shaft, you don't have to worry about synchronizing two throttles. Super easy.

Online ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 03:04:00 pm »
It should. I looked at the fiche for the various 950 models and they all show the same parts. Processes should be the same.

Since the butterflies are on the same throttle shaft, you don't have to worry about synchronizing two throttles. Super easy.

Kraven: You're right, it should be pretty simple to do - but I'd still like to read the SM just in case there's something I've missed.... although, as you say - the process should be the same, so any 950 service manual would do...

Offline Frosty1947

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 05:31:03 pm »
I just attempted to sync my injectors.  Bought a vacuum gauge to see where the idle vacuum was set.   WOW, who can tell.  The needle was jumping all over the place between high and low scale.  I tried it on both the forward and rear ports with the same result.

(They must be in sync since they both are equally erratic).  ;D

If this is the case, I suspect that measuring the difference in pressure as shown by Shaker Norm may be the only "stable" way to get a reading.

Has anyone else actually tried to get a reading with a gauge?

True freedom has no destination.

Online ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 06:59:35 pm »
That's one of the really good things about the $1.55 synch tube setup - it seems to almost damp itself due to the viscosity of the oil. There is a little bit of movement, but 1/16" or so - I can deal with it...  ;D I have known people to use an old carburetor main jet to smooth it out even more, but I've never needed it.

BTW Frosty - How did you tee into the vacuum tube?

Offline Frosty1947

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 07:06:33 pm »
Norm,

The SM calls for a vacuum gauge setup but I just don't see how it's possible.  I would upload the SM pictures if I knew how.

I'm going to try the plastic tube solution tomorrow.

Online ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 07:10:02 pm »
Frosty:
I think to post pics here - you have to host them somewhere else on the 'net.
I post mine on Photobucket, then it's just cut and paste the IMG code to here.

Offline Frosty1947

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 08:15:28 am »
OK, Here's what the SM says about the subject....  (Thanks Norm)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:31:14 pm by Frosty1947 »

Offline Frosty1947

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 03:29:42 pm »
Thanks to the advice from ShakerNorm,  I was able to lash up the hydraulic syncro tester.  Posted below are a few pictures...

This first one shows an overview of the lash up

This one is a closeup of the plumbing.  One line from the tester goes to the front port and the other to the rear.  The front line can be plugged in directly and the rear line is connected via a tee fitting.

Here the engine is running.  Note the difference in pressures.  This is the best they could get it at the factory???  I tweaked the rear air screw just a bit and leveled the pressures spot on.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:30:14 pm by Frosty1947 »