Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Replaced steering head bearings  (Read 8207 times)

Offline joko

Replaced steering head bearings
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:04:47 pm »
Ok I finally did it, I swapped my bearings this weekend.  Man, it was a LOT of work.  And in the end, it didn't cure my wobble completely.  But it seems to have cured something else which I will get to at the end.

My experience:

Like most work you do on bikes, you have to do some work just to get to the real work you want to do.  In this case, quite a bit of pre-work.  Norm mentions it all in his how-to in the tech library.  Big shout out to Norm for all his help w/ this and his how-to.  Couldn't have done this w/ out his help.

I started out w/ the intention of taking a lot of pics as I went through the process, but I found that there's really not a lot of pics to really take. 

Removing the bars, unbolting the headlight bracket from the lower triple, unbolting the speedo from the top triple, removing the tire, forks, etc is all pretty standard and there are tons of threads out there that already cover this stuff.

Once you have all that out of the way, time to get to the real work.

First, remove the ring nuts.  #s 6, 7, 8 and 9 in this pic:

#s 6, 7, and 8 come right off.  Use your spanner wrench for # 9.  It comes right off once you loosen it.  Make sure you hold the bottom triple to keep it from falling out once you remove the lower ring nut.

Then take off the bearing cover (# 11).  Comes right off.

Then take out the upper bearing race and old bearings (#s 12 and 13).  These also come right out.

Once all that stuff is removed, the lower triple and stem should fall right out, make sure you don't drop it.

That's the easy part.

The next part is really the name of the game and where the shops earn their money:  removing the outer races out of the head tube (#s 17, top and bottom):

I bought this thinking it would make the job easy.  Man was I wrong. 

The problem is the races are pretty flush with the inside of the head tube so the tool wasn't able to bite into the races at all.  So I ended up using a pry bar that I had laying around.  Something like this:

Took a long time but I was finally able to get it to grab a hold of the outer races.  Once you get here it's then just a matter of working your way around the races on opposite sides.  The videos make it look a LOT easier than it is (or was for me anyway).

So now you got the outer races out of the head tube. At this point clean out the head tube real good with a clean towel.

Now remove the old bearing from the stem:

The old bearing and dust seal come right off.

Now for me this was the hardest part of the job, remove the bearing race from the stem:

I tried to do it like how they show you in the manual (#2 above) but for the life of me I could not get it to budge.  Admittedly I was doing it at more of an angle in line w/ the stem so maybe that was my issue.  I finally had to dremel it off.  I don't know what kind of steel this stuff is made of but it's HARD, and it took me FOREVER to grind it down.  If you use a dremel be super careful not to grind the stem or triple tree.  Damn they make it look SO easy in the videos!

This is what mine looked like after the dremel:

I bought this hoping it would make this job easy, but it was simply ineffective in getting the race off.  The thing is just on too tight.

Now what the tool was good for was getting the new bearing onto the stem.  It comes with a little plate that fits exactly over the inner race of the new bearing but doesn't touch the bearing/cage itself.  It's crucial not to pound the actual cage/bearing, just the inner race.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go buy a metal pipe that fits over the stem and inner race of the new bearing.  As you can see in the pic, a pipe with an inner diamer of 31mm should do it.

At this point grease up the new bearings real good.  Watch the vid in Norm's how-to.  You're not going to have a second chance to do this so make sure you do it right. 

Then you just use one of the protectors in the pic (I think I used the 31mm) (or pipe) to pound the new bearing onto the stem.  Make sure you clean the stem before putting on the new bearing.

Put a light coat of grease on the stem.

Almost done.

Now get the new outer races into the steering tube.  Again, I was hoping that Motion Pro tool would do it for me but nope.  I had to use the old races to get them fully seated into the tube.  You'll know they're in all the way when they're flush w/ the inner lip of the tube.

After that, slide the stem into the tube and install everything in the reverse order (see manual pics above).

Tighten the bottom ring nut w/ the spanner wrench, do it like they show you in the All Balls video in Norm's how-to.

Start putting everything back together that you moved out of the way earlier.

Once you have the forks and the tire on, but before you have everything put back together, I'd recommend checking to make sure the steering head isn't loose.  Watch this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl5RznButY0

If it's loose, tighten the bottom ring nut maybe 1/8" at a time and check for any looseness in the forks.

You want the steering head loose enough so the bars/wheel turn freely but not so loose that you can move your forks.

This part is also pretty crucial IMO, as you don't want to put everything back together and discover that you don't have the ring nut tight enough.

Now put everything back together and go for a test ride.

Now, as I mentioned in the beginning, unfortunately for me, replacing my bearings didn't cure my wobble.  Kind of.  When I'm in 4th gear and decelerating, no wobble.  3rd gear, wobble.  I don't know why.  Maybe it's my install job, this was my first time doing this so maybe I didn't do something right.  The bike rides fine otherwise though so I don't know.  I bought my bike used and I know it was dropped before I bought it so maybe that's got something to do with it.  Maybe it's the tire.  When my current one wears out I'm going to try something else and see if that changes anything.

I mentioned that it did cure something else for me though.  Prior to the swap, sometimes my bike would get squirelly when I rode over certain rain grooves on the freeway, or rode over thick painted lines when lane splitting (thin painted lines were never an issue).  (When I say thick, I mean lines that have been painted several or more times over the years w/ more coats of paint, not thick like wide).  So squirrelly (when riding on painted lines) in fact, that it was some work trying to keep the bike going straight while on the lines.

Imagine trying to keep both wheels on one of these lines while the bike is fighting you a little bit:

After the swap, there's still some occasional squirrelliness, but not close as bad as before.  Maybe after I put everything back together things just got aligned a little bit better (I had taken off the forks way back when I installed my fork gaiters), or maybe it was the bearings, or maybe a combo of both, I don't know for sure.  All I know is the bike actually rides better now.  This was actually more important to me than the wobble, so I'm still glad I did it.

Finally, knowing what I know now, would I have spent the money I did on the tools I bought (spanner wrench, $20, motion pro, $128, race remover, $30)?  No.  I should have listened to Norm.  If I would have, I'd have spent a few bucks on a pipe for the stem race.  I had everything else in my garage.  Would I have just taken it to a shop and paid a little extra?  Probably.  Oh well, live and learn.

Would I ever want to do this again?  HELL NO.  The work you have to do just to get to the work you really want to do, getting the old races out, putting everything back together again...it was hell.  Now I know why the shops quoted me about $250 and said it was a 4 hour job.  For me it turned out to be about a 10 hour job.

Anyway, hope this helps you if you decide to do it yourself.  Or maybe it will help you decide to have a shop do it for you.  Either way, good luck.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:17:52 pm by joko »

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
Re: Replaced steering head bearings
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 12:00:45 am »
Thanks for the write-up, Joko! 
And YES - I learned a few things from your write-up, too (like the fact that you have to remove the speedo), and I'll make sure I edit my posts in the Tech Library to show them.  That video about how to check your steering head bearings is BANG ON! Thanks! It WILL get posted in the Library. 

As to the bearing races - yes - they are HARDENED steel - they are made to resist pressure, and they do it quite well. The big problem with ball bearings is that the contact area is almost microscopic, so the pressure at any one point is HUGE. And since they only have to move 1 or 2 mm back and forth for 99% of their life, they wear in at that point and then they're toast (The worn bearing race he showed in the video was MINOR compared to what the races in my 30 year old XS650 looked like when I replaced them.... :o LOL).  The tapered bearings only move the same amount - but the contact area is 5 or 10 times what it is with the ball bearings, so wear is reduced by the same factor.  There is also more friction needed to turn them, so they should tend to "cushion" the wobble a bit, and if you tighten them or loosen them, you can adjust that friction level - something you really can't do with ball bearings.

One other thing  - After you've ridden the bike for a few hundred miles - Check the bearings again - you might want to tighten them a little as the wear in properly. After that - they should be great for 20 or 30,000 miles......

Getting the bearing race off the stem?  I suspect that Yamaha shrinks them on there - that means that they heat the race to 300 or 400*F (making it expand dramatically), and freezes the stem (making it shrink) and then assembles it with a press - this makes sure it NEVER moves unless you force it or cut it.  Heating it while it's on the stem isn't as effective, since a lot of the heat flows from where you want it (the bearing race) into the stem (where you don't want it). It helps, but it's not as good.

It's annoying to hear that you didn't completely cure the wobble. Do you still have the stock tires?  That zig-zag down the centerline still bugs me. 
I have a friend who had a big RoadStar with similar tires to ours, and yes - he also had the wobble - not as bad as on my Bolt, but still definitely there.  He swapped out tires to Commander II's and his wobble was GONE. That was one of the reasons that I originally suspected that the tires were the culprit. Since then, I've heard several on the forum, here, say that new tires didn't cure their wobble..... so I'm suspecting it's a combination of factors (tires, bearings, and more), but since I know that the Bolt is NOT the ONLY bike that does this - tracking down the real cause may be VERY difficult.
NOBODY hates winter more than a Canadian Biker!

Offline joko

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 12:58:08 am »
No problem Norm and thank You for all your help with this, like I said I couldn't have done this without your help and I wouldn't have even tried it without your how-to. And thanks for the tip about checking the bearings again after a few hundred miles I will do that for sure.

Yes I still have the stock front tire and I will absolutely be getting the commander 2 or at least something that doesn't have that zip zag line down the middle as soon as this stock one wears out. I'll make sure to come back with an update as soon as I get a new tire whenever that is... Could be a while though as my current tire is showing hardly any noticeable wear after about 10k miles.

Even though my wobble isn't completely gone I'm still glad I did it as the bike does ride better than it did before. 

• Advertisement

Offline Bolt On

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 03:33:31 am »
Nice work Joko, I appreciate you doing the hard yards and following through with the write up. I'm sure many members will benefit from your pioneering on this one. Thanks for all your blood, sweat and tears.
If your Dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two Mums.

Offline vvsabvv

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 08:51:04 pm »
Which kind of grease did you use for the Tapered Roller Bearings?

Offline joko

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 11:14:17 pm »
Which kind of grease did you use for the Tapered Roller Bearings?

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease

Offline SLCBolt

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 01:05:28 am »
Ok I know I am reviving an old thread but I believe this thread has a lot of good information for Swapping out the steering bearing as well as the thread from ShakerNorm in the How-To section.

My death wobble has gotten intense so it is time to get that bearing switched out. I am having a ton of trouble getting the outer race on the top of the steering column out. I have gotten everything else off besides the top race. There seems to be Zero purchase to get a punch or something onto to pop it out. Why isn't there nice grooves like the bottom to get a punch in under the race? I have tried heating it up and just about everything I can think of with the tools or odds and ends in my garage. Anybody have any weird tips that might help me out?

Offline joko

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 02:15:44 pm »
I used a pry bar with an angled tip and just had to keep chipping away with a hammer until the thing finally started moving. Was definitelydefinitely a pain.

Offline SLCBolt

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 04:36:50 pm »
Thanks Guys. I couldn't of done it without this forum. Lots of rad information and I want to contribute what I learned. First off never again, it will go to the shop. With all the nice tools it wouldn't be terrible I don't think but might as well go to the shop and have them do it since the tools alone would cost more then having someone do it. And how often are you really going to use these tools anyways unless you have a bunch of bikes or your friends all use your garage to work on their bikes.

If you do want to dig into this to learn this lesson by yourself then go ahead it was definitely worth the hassle to know you did the work and your front end didn't fall off. I did the whole job with no special tools, just generic stuff in my garage. This will most likely add hours too your job. If you were to buy one tool for this I would suggest a bearing press to get the new Bearing onto the steering stem. That probably took me longer then getting the Upper Race out.

Joko did a great job starting this post with great info as well as Shaker Norms guide. I tried a few things that may or may not have helped. I read a lot about heating up the steering stem so it expands and then "the race will be looser and easier to get out." I tried this a few times with a torch and I don't know if it helped or not. I also read that freezing the race would shrink it and again be easier to get out. But how do you freeze the race while it is inside your bike. I found a forum where a computer nerd turned a can of compressed air upside down and now you have a concentrated stream of about -25 C (BEWARE: wear leather gloves or something or you will give yourself frostbite.) Also watch out what the liquid is dripping on, I assume your speedo would not be very happy freezing. Anyways not sure if this helped or not it seemed that freezing the race also freezed the whole stem so who knows. After trying many things to get the Upper Race out I found a tool that made me think it couldn't be this easy could it.  Yes yes it was. I used an adjustable crescent wrench and it grabbed the upper race's lip very easily. Now just work your way around a few times and you almost have the upper race all the way out. You won't be able to get it out all the way out with the wrench because it starts pushing the other end back in as you work your way around. But you will get it out enough to get some purchase with a punch and hammer. Pictures below.

Once all the races were out it was time to figure out how to get all the new races seated in their homes all the way and the lower bearing on the steering stem.  I used the old races to pound in the new races and bearing. I took all the old races and cut a notch out of them with an angle grinder. This allowed them to be flexible so they wouldn't get stuck back in the bike. With the Lower Inner Race it was a bit thicker and less plyable, also the one that will get the most stuck so I cut a slightly bigger chunk out of it to help get it off.

Then I started with the upper and lower race on the steering head to get the new races in. I took the new race and a rubber mallet and tapped them in so they were level and in wouldn't fall out. Then I took the corresponding old race and turned it upside down so the lips would match up perfectly. After this just tap around the race easily with a hammer until the race is fully seated in the stem. Repeat for the bottom race.

Now to the fun part. Getting the Lower Bearing onto the Steering Stem. Make sure you packed it full of grease correctly using the awesome video Shaker Norm posted in the Tech Library How-Do section. Then slide the bearing onto the stem. Now you want to be very careful during this process not to damage your new bearing. Slide the old lower inner race onto the steering stem upside down. This should match up exactly with the inner lip on the new bearing which is the only place you want to put pressure so you don't break the new bearing. (Picture Below). Now just grab a chisel and hammer and slowly work the bearing down the stem until it is seated all the way at the bottom. When you get to the bottom you will hear a different sound when you hit the chisel against the old inner race. After I first heard this I went around the race a few more times to make sure every side was all the way down. Now your old Race is probably stuck on the stem and you can't pull it off by hand. Since you cut a chunk out of it with an angle grinder it will be a piece of cake. Just take the end of the chisel or a flat head into the cut on the race and hit the end with a hammer. This will break the race free and spin it around the stem. After a few hits you should be able to pull the race off with your hands.

The rest is a piece of cake. Make sure to fill your other bearing with grease and get it seated flush on the top then put your stem back together following the instructions in your service manual. I don't have a torque spanner wrench available so I just used a flathead and a hammer and tightened up the stem nuts until I felt they were tight enough. Then I took the bike for a spin and it felt a little loosy goosy so I tightened it about 1/4 turn more and it felt much better.

Offline SLCBolt

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 04:42:27 pm »
I used the old races to pound in the new races and bearing. I took all the old races and cut a notch out of them with an angle grinder. This allowed them to be flexible so they wouldn't get stuck back in the bike. With the Lower Inner Race it was a bit thicker and less plyable, also the one that will get the most stuck so I cut a slightly bigger chunk out of it to help get it off.

Offline SLCBolt

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 04:43:25 pm »
Then slide the bearing onto the stem. Now you want to be very careful during this process not to damage your new bearing. Slide the old lower inner race onto the steering stem upside down. This should match up exactly with the inner lip on the new bearing which is the only place you want to put pressure so you don't break the new bearing.

Offline DelawarePete

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 04:48:15 pm »
I am so glad I work at a dealership and abuse the living shit out of my labor discount, because there is no fucking way I would go through all of that.  I just don't have your patience and determination. 
Grow a beard

Offline Shane45_1911

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 05:07:47 pm »
Yeah, short of a complete engine tear-down and rebuild - this job is probably the most time-consuming and frustrating improvement to the Bolt there is.
"Do, or do not - there is no 'try'."
Yoda

Offline SLCBolt

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 05:25:34 pm »
Yea it probably took close to 10 hrs. If I realized I would get stuck for so long on the upper race and putting on the new steering bearing then I would of took it to the shop. But once you start taking it apart you really can't give up until its done.

Offline lunkhead

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:25:53 pm »
I bought my bearings last year but I don't look forward to doing them. I just tightened the stock ones down about a half a turn. Still a tad loose but better. The Hagon shock adjuster fit right in there so I only needed to loosen the top triple clamp and turn. It only took a few minutes as opposed to all day for the permanent fix. I figure I'll try to nurse them until I have to change the front tire.
C-SPƎC