Welcome to the Yamaha Star Bolt Motorcycle Forum

Why join our motorcycle community?

• Membership is free and easy
  • Get technical support and information for your Yamaha Star Bolt motorcycle or search for information before buying
  • Use the member map to find riders near you
  • Participate in our monthly virtual bike show (or at least vote)
  • Get rid of these annoying boxes asking you to register  ;D

More importantly, make new friends!!

Author Topic: Technical Library FEEDBACK  (Read 6426 times)

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
Technical Library FEEDBACK
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:30:58 pm »
OK - I know that no-one else is permitted to post in the Technical Library...... and YES, I DO want FEEDBACK for what gets posted, so HERE IT IS!

If you have any concerns, additions, changes, or answers to questions that I ask in the Tech library.... feel free to post them here! 

I always want to hear from people who've done jobs that are relevant to our bikes, so I can add photos and details for the next person who might have to do the same job.

Right now my big concern is the Steering Stem bearings..... I HAVE done the job - but not on my Bolt, so there may be details that I don't yet know about. And photos are ALWAYS appreciated by everybody. Don't keep your experience to yourself!  Be 8) and show someone else how to do it!  ;D

NOBODY hates winter more than a Canadian Biker!

Online joko

Re: Technical Library FEEDBACK
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:05:34 pm »
Great write up on the bearing swap Norm.  Only question I have is, is it necessary to loosen (not remove) the steering stem nut before removing the forks and tire? 

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:02:49 pm »
Great write up on the bearing swap Norm.  Only question I have is, is it necessary to loosen (not remove) the steering stem nut before removing the forks and tire?

Thanks, Joko:
The actual manual doesn't say what order you have to take things apart, but I think I would recommend at least loosening the steering stem nut (#3 in the manual's picture - the one holding the top triple tree to the steering stem) before pulling the front forks - basically just so you have more leverage.  That nut is on there at 80 ft-lbs of torque so it's going to be a bit of a bear to remove if you don't have some leverage.  The "ring nuts" that actually hold the upper bearing (#8 & 9) are only torqued to 13 & 38 ft lbs, so they'll be a LOT easier to remove. 
I'll take a look at my write-up and mention it......

• Advertisement

Offline Bolt On

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 03:25:14 am »
Norm - MVP
If your Dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two Mums.

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 10:35:51 pm »
OK- I know that trying to find or get information about a specific problem or question on here is starting to get tough (there's over 1200 threads in the technical discussion alone).... SO.......

I'm hoping that I can contact Philip (Adm1n) and do a little revamp of the Technical section.   I'd like to break it down into the following sections: Engine & Drivetrain; Fuel & Air; Electrical; Frame & Suspension; Paint & Powdercoating; How To's; Mods & Accessories; Troubleshooting; and the Technical Library. 

I don't plan on doing anything with the non-technical areas, such as Bike Talk, the Rest Stop, Rides or Photos areas.  Although Putting a Rides section for Canada might be an idea....

If you want an idea of what kind of breakdown I think would work - check out another Forum I'm on - the XS650 Garage forum..... http://xs650temp.proboards.com/ It's been online for years and has over 17,000 threads! But it's still easy to navigate around.

Any comments? Suggestions?  Volunteers ?  Another Mod or two might be an idea, too - although there's not many problems (the occasional bot dropping a stupid post is the worst of things, lately), so it's a pretty easy job.  We have a good bunch here!

Offline RudeBoltin

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 08:33:53 pm »
Sounds like a good idea Norm. Really my only wish is that the Home page would go back to the way it was originally.
Be safe and Bolt on.

Offline Bolt On

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 09:33:41 pm »
^^^x2, + recover missing threads/posts.
Thanks for taking the time Norm
If your Dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two Mums.

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 02:27:04 pm »
I can't say that it would recover anything lost, but it should help people find stuff easier....

Offline ImMrEd

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 07:51:40 pm »
Looking good Norm, much easier to navigate.
The horse has Bolt'ed!

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 09:57:30 pm »
Now - if I just got an answer back from Philip...... :P

Offline WildRider3751

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 04:22:37 pm »
Sounds like a great idea. will definitely make it easier to navigate and find the detailed info we are after.

Ron Swanson is my spirit animal

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 11:56:49 pm »
I HAVE received a positive reply, but I've been kind of swamped on a personal level, so I haven't got back to them, yet.... Sorry, all.  I DO want this to be as good a Forum as possible for everybody, and I think some improvement would attract even more members.

Offline Oz Bolt

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 05:33:01 am »
Some slick photos might also attract more members too, but depending on the photos we may not want them  8) 8) 8)

I'm happy to be on the grading committee.  ;D
Good things come to those who wait...greater things happen to those who get off their arse and do something about it.

Offline ShakerNorm

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 08:10:01 pm »
I'd be more than happy to have you, Oz.... and you've seen MY idea of a sexy woman on my bike.... 
I still think I P.O.'d that guy who wanted all the bikini babes..... LOL   

And I keep a copy of the same pic on my toolbox at work - and even the women in the place have said that they LIKE that kind of sexy shot. 

For those of you who didn't see it - I posted a pic of a model dressed up as a 1940's bombshell sitting on my bike in front of a WW2 Lancaster Bomber......  No bikini needed, but DAMN she's sexy!  ;D

Offline ImMrEd

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 08:31:09 pm »
I'd be more than happy to have you, Oz.... and you've seen MY idea of a sexy woman on my bike.... 
I still think I P.O.'d that guy who wanted all the bikini babes..... LOL   

And I keep a copy of the same pic on my toolbox at work - and even the women in the place have said that they LIKE that kind of sexy shot. 

For those of you who didn't see it - I posted a pic of a model dressed up as a 1940's bombshell sitting on my bike in front of a WW2 Lancaster Bomber......  No bikini needed, but DAMN she's sexy!  ;D
A link to the photo please  :D
The horse has Bolt'ed!